30-year home appreciation by city

I am happy to report that our monthly payment will stay the same through assisted living, even to nursing care.

Which could also mean that you are being over charged for IL and AL, if paying the same rates as nursing care!

IP

1poormom’s facility doesn’t like bringing food back because of the potential for mess, and subsequent attraction for pests (roaches, mice, whatever).

My parents’ 2 br apartment had a full kitchen. They took 1 meal in the dining room, preparing the other 2 or dining out for the rest. Mess was an option at any time.

IP

1pg: I don’t look forward to a CCRC apartment, but I recognize that it may be a necessity. We’ll see. 1poormom is the first with dementia as far as I know, but it does constitute family history now. Which is a little scary.

My dad went coo-coo in his late '70’s or early '80’s*. Mom eventually had him put into an old folks retirement home. It wasn’t luxurious, but it was clean and safe, and he liked the food. He had fallen at home and broke his hip. After hip replacement, he never learned to walk on is artificial hip. Why? He was too senile to understand that the therapist was trying to help him, not hurt him, and he got mad at the therapist. So he stayed in a wheelchair the rest of his life.

Luckily, my dad was one on the most easy-going soft spoken people I have ever known. To my recollection he never had an enemy.

Nothing would persuade Mom to go into an assisted living place. She called it “assistant” living. Luckily my sister lived in the same town and sis took on the task of caring for her. Mom eventually died of liver cancer at 89. Dad lived to 94 in his retirement home.

Their lives persuaded me that the CCRC was a good idea.

CNC
*My BIL (The one who knows everything) tells me that Dad’s kind of senile dementia is carried in the female and not the male, so I am not supposed to go that way. The Countess suspects that I am already senile.

1pg: 1poormom’s facility doesn’t like bringing food back because of the potential for mess, and subsequent attraction for pests (roaches, mice, whatever).

IP: My parents’ 2 br apartment had a full kitchen. They took 1 meal in the dining room, preparing the other 2 or dining out for the rest. Mess was an option at any time.

Our apartment (like most of the newer CCRC’s) has a “full” kitchen. Barbie sized dishwasher (and other appliances) but it’s all we need. We have seen some places where the kitchen was smaller than the Countess could tolerate (with small refrigerators and stoves). The newer facilities we have seen all seem to have learned not to skimp on the kitchens.

CNC

I am happy to report that our monthly payment will stay the same through assisted living, even to nursing care.

Which could also mean that you are being over charged for IL and AL, if paying the same rates as nursing care!

I’d look at it as an unlimited LTC insurance policy. As opposed to the Genworth policy I have now, that has limits on how much they’ll pay per day, and for how many years.

There’s lots of insurance I pay for, hoping I’ll never use it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Places with full kitchens are different. When 1poormom was in IL, she had a kitchen (that she rarely used, fortunately). Food there was OK. In AL, she has a mini-fridge for drinks or whatever. No cooking.

But, during lockdowns over the past two years, they expected residents to eat in their rooms for their safety.

1poorguy

Come on in! The water’s fine!

Count, I was wondering how things were going for you and the Countess. I’m happy to learn that it’s going very well indeed!

2 Likes