5 Things to Know About Zoom 5.0

It’s Here! 5 Things to Know About Zoom 5.0
https://blog.zoom.us/wordpress/2020/04/27/its-here-5-things-…

I just upgraded using the download link and it was smooth; nothing out of the ordinary. It was worth checking since this is a new major version (4.x → 5.x). It still looks the same too.

Aside from the improvements, which were security oriented as you’d expect, there is a timeline point worth calling out:

“…A system-wide account enablement to GCM encryption will occur on May 30, 2020, and only Zoom clients on version 5.0 or later, including Zoom Rooms, will be able to join Zoom Meetings starting May 30.”

This means that everyone who has a client installed right now (which IS everyone) will be forced to upgrade to version 5.x or they will not be able to join meetings. However, as I said above, the update process was fine, so this isn’t a huge concern. Hopefully they offer an in-app upgrade reminder/button to make this really easy for the non-technical user base.

7 Likes

This means that everyone who has a client installed right now (which IS everyone) will be forced to upgrade to version 5.x or they will not be able to join meetings. However, as I said above, the update process was fine, so this isn’t a huge concern. Hopefully they offer an in-app upgrade reminder/button to make this really easy for the non-technical user base.

My Zoom app upgraded itself on my android phone. Check in settings on your app what version it is. You can click on the version and it will tell you if it is up to date.

Andy

You can click on the version and it will tell you if it is up to date.

Curious, my Android phone says it is up to date, but the version number is 4.6.11

Curious, my Android phone says it is up to date, but the version number is 4.6.11

That is strange. Mine says 5.0.1.

Andy

Curious if anyone with a security background could comment on this.

Is this a “game-changer?” Also, how far is Zoom from end-to-end encryption since I’m sure that’s something they’re pushing to complete after all the negative PR they got.

I would be expecting many new features from this release as Eric said they have halted all feature development and would be spending the entire quarter on security fixes.

What they did amazingly well which few noticed was they started branding the releases as 5.0 Pretty smart on their side, I don’t think anybody cared about what version of Zoom they were running before.

For other Android phone users I have discovered that if one brings up Zoom in the Google Play Store there is an update button. I am now at 5.0.1 on phone and laptop.

If this one doesn’t have the game-changing stuff in it then it is still a step on the path. They have consulted (maybe hired?) a number of serious cyber-security heavyweights recently, including the services of CrowdStrike’s (CRWD) consulting arm. (I also own shares of CRWD. I love when that happens!)

1 Like