50 years of monetary policy, off the rails

Epsilon theory is always a good read when it comes out, and one of the very few newsletters I actually pore over when it lands in my inbox.

Now, I’m a young(ish) man, only a scant 40 years of age, so this wackiness has been around for my whole life. And my ‘adult’ financial life, from the dot-com boom, on into total fcking whatever-the-fck-we-have now, is the only way I’ve known. You old timers probably remember a time when it all made sense.

https://www.epsilontheory.com/hollow-men-hollow-markets-holl…

How this house of cards eventually comes down scares the hell out of me. I feel that any of us peons are impossible to stop it, so we just have to position ourselves as best as possible. I hope it holds out long enough for me to get the homestead going in Montana…but no gray missile silo for me. Mine will have a garden, and art, and not some stupid Gadsden flag or trumpy bullsh*t out front. Some are welcome.

4 Likes

Oh, I forgot to mention, that when all this inequitable, unsustainable monetary policy DOES reset, I will be in a worldwide, immutable, secure money system- crypto. Now you old timers can roll your eyes.

2 Likes

Hah! You don’t want to go over to the METAR board and say this. You might blow up Motley Fool.

How this house of cards eventually comes down scares the hell out of me. I feel that any of us peons are impossible to stop it, so we just have to position ourselves as best as possible. I hope it holds out long enough for me to get the homestead going in Montana…but no gray missile silo for me. Mine will have a garden, and art, and not some stupid Gadsden flag or trumpy bullsh*t out front. Some are welcome.

You know about my hideaway in the Keys. You know who my new neighbor is, who is a very talented guitarist and what, late twenties? He and I have hit it off very well with our his dry humor and my irreverence. He’s surprised to find an old dog like me up this way where so many Trump flags and MAGA hats once flew and were worn. This young man reads books and listens to music which matters on vinyl. So, he’s becoming a dear friend. Tomorrow I shovel him a Bob Dylan book “Chronicles” Vol. 1 so he can take notes on Americana music.

I am pretty much off Twitter now because of Musk. But I still use the DM. I’ll hit you up this weekend to exchange some book ideas I’ve picked up on, and one to avoid from the 60s which I started revisiting.

Someone, somewhere, has got to reinvent a better social media for Web 3.0. What is happening on Twitter has already happened on Fool discussion boards. There has got to be a place for Progressive folks to meet and carry on.

If it weren’t for Trevor Noah and John Oliver, I don’t know that I would be sane any longer with dark comedy. Bill Burr and David Chapelle just aren’t hitting it any longer for me. Trevor and John present better understanding of news than anyone save Frontline, the Guardian, and a few other reputable sources who actually do investigative reporting. The Guardian is always looking for donations. All they have to do is begin accepting Bitcoin, Ethereum or Cardano. If they would give a nod to rebuilding the world for the young, the young will pay them back.

Speaking of which, this young neighbor and I watch the J6 Commission live, but never together. We each think better alone. Then we digest what we viewed. Then he fires off a few texts to me and I to him. We live next to one another, but, we both thrive in our privacy and quiet time to think. He could never find this peace down in Key West. Now he knows what magic is left is in nature and “down time” under the stars. I’ll tell you more later. But the wildlife has brought this young man out of his shell. For sure. That plus the raccoons are educating him as to why you use two bungee cords over the trash can tops, and, he is also learning firsthand why we must outlaw single use plastic bags used at stores all up and down the Keys.

More later in a DM. Razah, my Monster Cat, is demanding a late night wet food snack. I obey my master.

Then charts. Then a new Netflix series. And bed time. Tomorrow, all day, out in the yard, still prepping for hurricanes.

3 Likes

Scotch, here you go. This thread from Twitter on Epsilon Theory’s latest which you shared here. I’ll just leave the OP initial tweet in the thread. Grant, Rusty, and Ben are always intriguing me with their thinking in Epsilon Theory screeds.

Looks like others on Twitter are catching on too, like this guy RPM.

https://twitter.com/RPMComo/status/1550737113406226432

RPM
@RPMComo
I’m the same age as @EpsilonTheory, but until 15 years ago I didn’t know of him and this community of what I call different-level finance guys.

I honestly thought the @FT and @TheEconomist was all I needed!

Then I realised, and I met guys like @ttmygh

epsilontheory.com
Hollow Men, Hollow Markets, Hollow World - Epsilon Theory
Over the past 25 years, our leaders have intentionally constructed an Apocalypse Now world of proclamation and fiat, where our wealth has grown much faster than our economy. The bill is due for their…
2:58 AM · Jul 23, 2022·Twitter for Android

Scotch, also note down stream in his short thread another reader tossed out this woman’s book if we enjoy Epsilon Theory.

@mtmcguigan
Replying to
@RPMComo

@EpsilonTheory and 3 others
I recommend reading Disorder by @HelenHet20 to understand how we got here.
3:18 AM · Jul 23, 2022·Twitter Web App

So you find out who Helen is here:
https://twitter.com/HelenHet20
Helen Thompson POLIS
@HelenHet20
Professor of Political Economy, University of Cambridge. Thoughts about our economic and political predicaments.
newstatesman.com/author/helen-t…Joined May 2016

p.s. I’ll be adding “Disorder - Hard Times In the 21st Century” to my reading wish list.

3 Likes