53% of inflation was driven by profits not costs

WHY USE BEEF TALLOW FOR FRYING?

As we’ve already said, beef tallow makes delicious foods when used for deep frying. But it also has temperature advantages. We have found that beef tallow has a higher heat capacity than peanut oil, meaning it can do more heat-work per degree than peanut oil. Plus, beef tallow is high in niacin, which is one of those “recommended vitamins and minerals” you’re already not getting enough of, so that’s nice.

Lard For Deep Frying

Lard is rendered pig fat. After tallow, we consider larding the next best oil for deep frying and shallow frying.

Lard consists of 39% Saturated fat, 45% monounsaturated fat, and 11% polyunsaturated fat. It has a high smoke point of 374°F/190°C slightly less than Tallow.

The smoke point is why we rank it just behind tallow as the best oil for deep frying.

Seed oil is bad for your health and Extra Virgin Olive oil is bad for your pocketbook. I’ve started using lard for frying, available at all supermarkets in Porto.

The Captain

If you search both lard and tallow are available from Amazon. I have seen lard in grocery stores near Crisco.

Unsaturated fats have lower melting points and tend to be oils. They also are more sensitive to air oxidation and rancidity.

Hydrogenation to saturated fats is one solution. Full hydrogenation avoids the trans fat problem.

The lard pkg i examined years ago said lard was hydrogenated. I suspect much lard oil gets hydrogenated to lard.

The fast food book i reviewed recently said McDonalds fried french fries in high tallow fat for better flavor. But switched to vegetable oil and added beef flavoring to the frozen fries to compensate.

The problem is partial hydrogenation which is what the industry does.

The production of trans fats is a result of partial hydrogenation. The process of hydrogenation consists of chemically adding atoms of hydrogen to cis unsaturated fat, eliminating the double bonds between carbon atoms and making them saturated.

Trans fats: What physicians should know - PMC.

What partial hydrogenation avoids is polyunsaturated fat going rancid but the hydrogen atoms are inserted in the wrong places.

At 9:25 Dr. Sten Ekberg explains the various molecular configurations of fats

The Captain

1 Like

That is not correct. Crisco from about 1905 was indeed partially hydrogenated. Hydrogenation improves shelf stability as previously described.

When fat or oils are fully hydrogenated they produce saturated fats with no trans fats.

The industry has learned to fully hydrogenate fat and then blend it with unsaturated oils to achieve similar results without trans fats.

2 Likes

Thanks! It’s hard to keep up to date with technology but Dr. Sten Ekberg should be. I wonder what he would say.

Even so, I finally learned what all these tech words really meant.

The Captain

1 Like

It’s hard to know which companies still use old technology. But it is now very possible to make good tasting products that are low in trans fats.

1 Like