99-day uptick signal

DB2

5 Likes

What is that telling you DB2? Could you explain it to me?

Andy

Avoiding the suspense, the 99Day on an intraday basis flipped to bullish today. But that’s not the generally accepted use pattern. On close, it’s still a fraction of a point below. (Compare the close with the upper bound of the 99 day channel (CHAN(99)… in the upper left of the chart. Either way, it’s been a bullish recovery of four weeks now!

4 Likes

Thanks Flying, so at 4119 right now so breaking out but not a strong breakout?

Andy

It’s not “strong” or “weak” until in hindsight, it’s just binary - a “safer” or “not so safe” environment… The rest is up to interpretation.

For example, if it goes up to flip to bullish and then the market reverses and heads back down, then it will be seen to have been a weak signal and a whipsaw.

How you use it is up to you. It’s best as part of a “team” of indicators.

6 Likes

I misunderstand. Today’s close (not intraday) is 4119.21. The maximum close over the prior 99 days (from 9/9/22 to 1/31/23) is 4110.41 (9/12/22). Seems like this 99/99 signal triggered. Where are my calculations (done by spreadsheet, not a chart) wrong?

3 Likes

At the same time, the SPY chart I linked was the one shared by mungofitch. IIRC, he used (like the graph) intraday prices. Does anyone have a (probably long lost by now) link that would say to use the closing price?

DB2

Try Search: MI Board Search - Criteria

1 Like

That’s not what I have. (maybe I overcounted?) My list of closing prices shows:

Mon, 12 Sep 22 4110.41 *** 99 Day High

Wed, 01 Feb 23 4119.21 **** NEW 99 day HIGH ****

I think 4119 outranks 4110

2 Likes

Not a link but my recall.
The DBE signal was presented and tested using intraday price by Jim.
The DBE signal was added to GTR1 using the closing price.
Jim stated that intraday or closing price is acceptable.

GD_

6 Likes

Good to know. Thanks.

DB2

Yup! Flipped yesterday at close Googlefinance hadn’t updated the close yet for 2/1 and the chart was a bit tight.
Mon, 12 Sep 22 4110.41 *** 99 Day High

Wed, 01 Feb 23 4119.21 **** NEW 99 day HIGH ****

3 Likes

Here’s the original description and idea from ages ago:

or http://www.datahelper.com/mi/search.phtml?nofool=youbet&mid=27035352

Things might have evolved, but I find that post well worth a read.

7 Likes

Thank you Ray. I appreciate it.

Andy

2 Likes