A Zoom anecdote with three points

A Zoom anecdote with three points.

A friend who lives in NYC told me how he and his wife just signed their new wills on Zoom. New York State has okayed virtual signing because of the pandemic and he, his wife, the attorney, two witnesses, and the notary were all present on separate Zoom windows. (Then the wills get sent around by Fedex to get actualsignatures of witnesses and notary). He said the Zoom was set up on the legal firm’s Zoom account.

1. It’s now okay to sign important legal papers virtually, in NY State anyway. Court hearings can also be done on Zoom.
  2. The legal firm has about 1000 attorneys, and who knows how many paralegals, in 25 countries (I googled the firm) so this is no little piddling company , and the firm now has its own paying Zoom account which they probably didn’t have before, as now all their attorneys and paralegals, in this part of the US anyway, are working from home, so I’d assume that they are getting plenty of use out of Zoom.
  3. Since security is obviously a big, BIG, deal for a large legal firm, and since they weren’t worried about security using Zoom, I’d say that that’s just one more piece of evidence in Zoom’s favor.

Hope this was of interest,

Saul

67 Likes

Most, if not all, Texas courts are using Zoom to conduct hearings. The Texas Supreme Court held oral arguments on three cases over Zoom.

https://blog.texasbar.com/2020/04/articles/coronavirus/texas…

According to the article above, there have been over 10,000 Zoom hearings so far in Texas.

I had one of those three days ago. Two firms, both over a hundred miles away from the Courtroom, were involved in the hearing without the time and expense of travel. A buddy of mine who is a judge in a smaller county has conducted many emergency hearings during the virus lock down, all over Zoom.

It has been an interesting investment for me as well as an innovative tool for many industries.

Long time lurker. Glad I could finally contribute.

Rickey

21 Likes

About a month ago I posted the my wife, who does bereavement counselling for a provincial health authority were no longer allowed to use Zoom because of security concerns. One month later they are being allowed to use it again.

1 Like

A lot of these stories were probably because companies had never vetted Zoom and never really saw the need. Many companies say technically you are not allowed to use non-sanctioned software but users’ computers are still allowed to install software, especially if it doesn’t require administrative privileges to install. Zoom’s ease of use is partly because it works on a lot of computers that otherwise are somewhat locked down. So when it became hugely popular, and especially when the so-called security issues came up, the reflex is to say you’re not allowed to use it. But the fact is that in many (most?) uses, the risk of some data being sent through a Chinese server or the lack of end to end encryption is simply not an issue. The Zoom-bombing was simply an issue of allowing anyone to crash a public meeting without physically being there. You get the same crashes on message boards and comment sections. So with a little time to think about it, most are realizing the software is perfectly fine, security has been improved, and the ease of use makes connecting to the target audience easier than most other teleconferencing platforms.

Many companies say technically you are not allowed to use non-sanctioned software but users’ computers are still allowed to install software, especially if it doesn’t require administrative privileges to install.

You don’t need the Zoom app, you can use your browser.

Launching Zoom from a web browser

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362593-Launchin…

Denny Schlesinger