Adult literacy

Being able to read is important for the individual, the country and the economy. Here is a map showing the adult literacy rates by state:
https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/us-literacy…

Highest: New Hampshire, 94.2%
Lowest: California, 76.9%

DB2
23% of Californians can’t read this sentence.

The list of states looks to correlate highly with the percentage of the population that is foreign born. NY, CA, TX, FL and NJ are all in the bottom of literacy.

They are also all the top five for immigrants.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/states-with…

9 Likes

The list of states looks to correlate highly with the percentage of the population that is foreign born.

True, but functional literacy is important for everyone. For example, if I were to go to the Ukraine to help I would be functionally illiterate there (despite being highly educated) and not able to contribute anywhere near what I could here in the US.

DB2

2 Likes

I were to go to the Ukraine to help I would be functionally illiterate there (despite being highly educated) and not able to contribute anywhere near what I could here in the US

I quibble.

While you are correct that you would likely be illiterate in Ukraine, the fact that their residents are often bilingual (80% are bilingual - 18% English) would mean that they may help you overcome your illiteracy and allow you to contribute - but perhaps not to full capacity.

The same is often the case here - especially with our Spanish-speaking population. Many may be illiterate as it pertains to English but we have made significant accommodations to help overcome that problem. That isn’t to say that those individuals don’t experience complications. It is to say that they certainly have the means to contribute to the economy even if they are not fluent in English.

5 Likes

NY, CA, TX, FL and NJ

And these states also correlate highly with population rank. 1 (CA); 2 (TX); 3 (FL); 4 (NY). Only NJ has a “low” population ranking at #11 (out of 50).

https://worldpopulationreview.com/states

Pete

1 Like

Many may be illiterate as it pertains to English but we have made significant accommodations to help overcome that problem. That isn’t to say that those individuals don’t experience complications. It is to say that they certainly have the means to contribute to the economy even if they are not fluent in English..

Well and accurately stated.

I use a lawn service that employees only “certified” immigrants. That shows in the prices they charge, which have gone up as enforcement strengthened. Each crew usually has one proficient in English and two more that may or may not be. But we have no problem communicating. And their work is excellent. Work hard, very willing to please. They certainly contribute to the economy.

In particular, their hedge trimmers are very skilled. Do a beautiful job - I never knew one could manipulate a chain saw so expertly.

I have not had to make any accommodations. My supplier did. And I’m glad he did. These are good people, willing to work hard for themselves and their families.

11 Likes

The list of states looks to correlate highly with the percentage of the population that is foreign born. NY, CA, TX, FL and NJ are all in the bottom of literacy. (emphasis in original comment)

Literate in what language?

English, according to the article. “high English literacy skills. … Of those who have low English literacy skills”

So in what states might we expect to find lower English literacy levels? In states with higher immigrant populations, of course!

Does anyone honestly believe that those immigrants who cannot read or write English also cannot for the most part read or write in the language of the country they’re from?

I bet if a native-born American citizen who grew up learning only English went to one of the countries where Spanish or German or Farsi or Japanese was the primary language, they’d be judged as illiterate. In that language.

There’s truly nothing to conclude from that analysis except that people moving to a country where their native language is not the one primarily used will be shown to be illiterate in that language. Duh.

It’s a good thing for Americans that so many other countries teach English in their schools in addition to their own language because so few Americans are literate or can even speak a foreign language. In my travels, I’ve been thankful for that because my wife and I would be lost if we had to rely solely upon my mostly-forgotten high school French or my wife’s barely remembered Japanese.

So we all should be absolutely unsurprised and non-judgemental about how illiterate in English immigrants might be. They have chosen a very difficult road to travel, moving to a country to better themselves and their families, a country where they cannot speak with 99% of the population at the start and who have to try to learn a foreign language as adults. That learning is, with rare exception, a very difficult thing to do.

Jim

9 Likes

There’s truly nothing to conclude from that analysis except that people moving to a country where their native language is not the one primarily used will be shown to be illiterate in that language. Duh.

I am more concerned about the lack of literacy in those who grew up and went to US schools. For example, this tidbit from 10 years ago tells us that 47% of Detroiters are functionally illiterate.
https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/05/04/report-nearly-half-o…
I doubt it has changed much in 10 years. And for those who are interested, immigrants make up 10% of the Detroit-Warren-Dearborn metro area.
https://d101vc9winf8ln.cloudfront.net/documents/29668/origin….

The good news (sort of) is that the US illiteracy rate hasn’t changed in 20 years.
www.lb7.uscourts.gov/documents/14-3613URL2Illiteracy.pdf

DB2

1 Like

I am more concerned about the lack of literacy in those who grew up and went to US schools

Ahh, then you should probably focus on the (poor) white South. 33% of individuals (age 16 to 65) below optimal literacy are white native born. Non-native Hispanics are a distant 24%.

https://nces.ed.gov/pubs2019/2019179/index.asp

And of course, poverty and illiteracy are highly correlated with many studies showing a bidirectional causal relationship.

https://floridaliteracy.org/refguide/poverty.pdf

The relationship between level of education and poverty is clear. The National Institute for
Literacy estimates that 43% of adult with very low literacy skills live in poverty. About 70% of
adult welfare recipients have lower level literacy skill on the National Assessment of the Adult
Literacy (NAAL).

A concern about a lack of literacy is a defacto concern about poverty. One of the most effective means of reducing poverty is the Child Tax Credit:

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/27/1075299510/the-expanded-child…

The payments cut monthly child poverty by roughly 30% “The first payment, in July, kept 3 million children out of poverty,” says Megan Curran, policy director at the Columbia University Center on Poverty and Social Policy. By December, Curran says, the benefit was keeping 3.7 million children out of poverty.

Bringing back the child tax credit would have a massive macro impact on reducing poverty and by extension, improving literacy - especially for native born citizens.

5 Likes

I am more concerned about the lack of literacy in those who grew up and went to US schools

Ahh, then you should probably focus on the (poor) white South.

Indeed.

DB2

The list of states looks to correlate highly with the percentage of the population that is foreign born.

True, but functional literacy is important for everyone. For example, if I were to go to the Ukraine to help I would be functionally illiterate there (despite being highly educated) and not able to contribute anywhere near what I could here in the US.

DB2

======================================================================

Ukrainians have an advantage over you. Most can speak English, Russian, and Polish besides Ukrainian. You can only speak English.

The children of refugees to America learn English very quickly. I was seven years old and learned English while still speaking Estonian at home. My Father could speak Russian, German, and Polish besides Estonian.

I was able to go to UCLA for my BS in Engineering and Westinghouse gave me a scholarship to get my MS in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Pittsburgh.

So these surveys may be accurate for emigrant adults for the first 5 years in the US, but it does not mean that it is a huge problem. Emigrant adults in California find plenty of work in construction, auto mechanics, agriculture, forestry, and running businesses that serve the emigrant populations.

Jaak

In particular, their hedge trimmers are very skilled. Do a beautiful job - I never knew one could manipulate a chain saw so expertly.

=================================================

LOL! The have been the best skilled workers in the construction industry, auto repair industry and in the community businesses such as restaurants, grocery stores, and other businesses for the last 20 years in California. They only need one person who speaks English to lead a crew of 6 workers.

They have the best work ethic, and they make sure you are happy with their work.

Jaak

Ukrainians have an advantage over you. Most can speak English, Russian, and Polish besides Ukrainian. You can only speak English.

Actually, I can read French. However, the Ukrainians of which you speak would presumably not be amongst the too high illiterate percent here in the US.

DB2

hear hear Hawkwin

It’s a good thing for Americans that so many other countries teach English in their schools in addition to their own language because so few Americans are literate or can even speak a foreign language.

Way back in the day, French used to be the language of international business and publishing of academic papers. At some point, it changed to English, for good or bad.

JLC - who used to be able to order beer and/or get in trouble in 3 languages.