Airtag question

So brought a pack of 4 Apple Airtags(never used these before) as going on an overseas trip and with all the horror stories I’m hearing re lost luggage, thought at least I might stand a chance of seeing where my luggage is. Heard the good and the bad about these devises, so any tips on using correctly, appreciated. Going to put one into each case(2 cases) that will go in the cargo. Also arranged a daily overseas AT@T plan that only charges you when cell is connected($10.00 daily charge) as would normally mostly use wifi apart from when not available. So, if I can’t pick up wifi at the airport for whatever reason, waiting for the luggage to come out, would I have to connect to the local cellular connection for the Airtags to work correctly as presume need some internet connection?

Anyone used these successfully under the same circumstances? Many Thx.

2 Likes

I’ve used Airtags while on travel, both domestically and internationally. I also have the AT&T international day pass.

If your iPhone is out of Bluetooth range of your Airtags, you’ll need WiFi or cellular to locate them via the Find My network, and the Airtags will have to be able to communicate via Bluetooth with other devices that are on the Find My network.

If you are within Bluetooth range of your Airtags, your iPhone can communicate without being on either cellular or Wifi. I know, I just checked with my iPhone SE in Airplane mode (no cellular) and with WiFi off. You can make the Airtags play the sound, and the Find My application appears to be able to tell you if you’re within close range (i.e. Bluetooth range) even without accessing iCloud. e.g. I can see Airtags that are “With You” vs. those that are at “0 mi” (i.e. in another room).

However, it’s not clear to me how you can locate the Airtag position without WiFi and cellular on, since you won’t have access to Find My. My iPhone doesn’t have the U1 chip, so I wouldn’t have Precision Finding anyway, but Precision Finding still has to be accessed from Find My.

-awlabrador

1 Like

Also arranged a daily overseas AT@T plan that only charges you when cell is connected($10.00 daily charge) as would normally mostly use wifi apart from when not available.

…wow, that’s criminal…

…T-Mobile offers free high speed connectivity while traveling overseas, to something like 100+ countries…

…yes, it’s only 5GB’s per month, but for an additional $25 dollars a month, you can buy the “international Plus+” plan which gives you 50GB’s of high speed data if needed…

…if you often travel outside the US, T-Mobile is really the only good solution in my opinion…

4 Likes

Thx Lab, appreciate the details. And CMF, agree, have a credit from them but have had enough and once the credit is used up, I’m going to give T-Mobile a go.

What we’ve done, rather than rely on our ISP/cell service in our case Verizon, is to stop by a local Cell sop or even 7-11 equivalent in the country we’re in, last ones were Denmark or London, and buy a SIM chip from whatever company is offering them, maybe $20 each for more text time than we could use in a couple weeks, overseas calling, and a level of data usage, but the plans could be added onto if they run low… Swapped the SIMs with the help of either the 7-11 clerk, or took the little package back to our hotel where the folks at the desk helped with the language, setup… Bought two so we could call each other in case we got separated, and off we went…

Had time left over once back home, but didn’t bother using…

Keep your original SIM chip in/under the back of your case, and you’ll need the pin or paper clip to pop out the old ones… last trip I popped the original VZ SIM back in on the Airporter bus ride back home… Came right up, never knew we left…

In any case it beat the overpriced International plan…

There are options…

2 Likes