Amazon Echo question

I’m trying to help a friend get a new Amazon Echo Dot (4th generation) set up and working.

As I understand it, when this thing is first turned on it tries to connect to whatever WiFi that it detects. If that WiFi accepts it then that’s it - it’s connected.

The problem I think I’m dealing with is that in this case the WiFi it’s connected to is not the correct one.

To put this in perspective, this friend lives in an “independent living” facility which provides a WiFi service to everyone in the building. But, she has her own private WiFi (from her own router) that is connected to an ISP that she has her own account with. The router / modem is connected to the building’s cable system.

So, any idea how can I get this Echo device to connect to her WiFi service instead of the facility’s service?

So, any idea how can I get this Echo device to connect to her WiFi service instead of the facility’s service?

Search online for “setup Echo Dot 4” or similar. There should be a link to Amazon to show how to do it. I have links to the Echo setup I use (I have two of them–both older models–but they do what I want).

Before doing the setup, look at her computer to find the name AND PASSWORD for her wifi device. Write those both down so you don’t lose them. No password? CREATE ONE and put it into the wifi device via the setup software !!! Otherwise, anyone can access and use her wifi to get to the Internet. Make sure the wifi device is turned on and working (reboot if necessary)–so the Echo 4 can find it and connect.

Use the Dot 4 setup software to look for the name of her wifi device to connect to ONLY her wifi–and enter the password as well (you did write those down–right?). Then save the info so the computer and wifi device have it all–and restart. Should just work and connect automatically whenever both devices are turned on.

Don’t know the computer setup. A computer can have multiple wifi access points and so can a router. Be sure to decide which one(s) to use–the computer wifi or the router wifi. You can enter as many as you choose (with their passwords !!) and whichever one connects first each time gets it.

1 Like

Pure guesswork:

Have another device (one with a keyboard - a smartphone counts) connect to the facility’s wifi, and use it to configure the Dot?

jerryab2:

I have searched and have come up with several links that don’t address my situation.

And yes, I know the name and password for her WiFi - I set them up for her (where she lived before moving into this new facility). The main reason we moved it over to where she is now was that it would provide a much more secure connection for her computer (and her iPad and iPhone).

You said: Use the Dot 4 setup software… I assume you’re referring to the Alexis App that is newly installed on her iPhone. And that cannot connect to the Echo Dot because her iPhone is connected to her private WiFi and thus cannot see the Echo Dot (which I’m assuming is connected to the public WiFi).

I think that this is the core of the problem. The Echo is connected to one network - her phone is connected to a different one.

warrl:

I thought of that - possibly use my own iPhone or iPad. But I kind of doubt that I would be able to actually redirect the Echo Dot to the private WiFi.

Get the Alexa app on her iPhone and configure through the app.

Ken

The Echo is connected to one network - her phone is connected to a different one.

There needs to be a way to reset the Echo. On my two Dots, unplug from power and wait a short time. No battery, so it resets to defaults. Does the Echo 4 have a battery? May need to take it out to reset it.

Then the setup software should work because it is setting itself up again.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=…

Try this link.

1 Like

Well, as for the battery, I’ll have to check.

But, if I do get it to set itself up again, wouldn’t it just connect again to the public WiFi?

Im trying to figure out how to get it to connect to her private WiFi.

Thanks, jerryab2. I’ve bookmarked that one. :grinning:

Temporarily change her iPhone WiFi to the public network so that you can communicate with it. Once they can talk, make the changes in network and password. Then tell the iPhone to forget the public network.

1 Like

But I kind of doubt that I would be able to actually redirect the Echo Dot to the private WiFi.

But that’s exactly what you need to do, so you need to try things.

Another direction would be to see if you can connect the Dot via USB to a phone, tablet, or computer.

(Still guesswork, here. I’ve never actually seen that particular device, let alone worked with one.)

RHinCT:

Yeah, I think I’ll give that a try. We’ll see what happens. Thanks.

I had a different Echo device and worked through my iPhone Alexa app some years ago. There are maybe a dozen WiFi signals that show up, but I had no issue picking what I wanted to use in the app. Now I that was a new out of the box device. You can reset your echo to factory settings easily.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=…