AMBA

Hi,
For those that own AMBA and have authority, here’s a good write up by Jeff Fisher at MF OPtions. I think the below address will require anyone going there to have authorization and that’s why I put it here.

http://newsletters.fool.com/50/coverage/weekly/2014/06/13/wh…

Mykie
PS I wonder if AMBA and AIOCF are competitors in the security portion of Amba’s business? That might be a good comparison of stats to see who might have the best products.

I wonder if AMBA and AIOCF are competitors in the security portion of Amba’s business? That might be a good comparison of stats to see who might have the best products.

Mykie,

It’s a really good practice to understand the business of the companies that you own stock in. There really are no easy short cuts here and I can only imagine that one’s confidence in owning stock would be pretty low if one does not understand what the company does. I don’t want to sound harsh but it sounds like a matter of someone not having done his homework. :wink: Or maybe you haven’t looked into AIOCF yet?

AMBA designs video chips for video cameras. They sell these chips to companies in various segments of the video camera industry. AMBA does not sell cameras (chip supply to others who market and sell the cameras). One of these markets is the camera security market. AIOCF specializes in video surveillance solutions. They not only provide the cameras but the whole security solution including data storage. The two companies are not competitors.

Chris

5 Likes

The two companies (AMBA and Avigilon) are not competitors.

Thanks Chris, I was about to explain it the same way when I got to your post.

Saul

It’s a really good practice to understand the business of the companies that you own stock in. There really are no easy short cuts here and I can only imagine that one’s confidence in owning stock would be pretty low if one does not understand what the company does. I don’t want to sound harsh but it sounds like a matter of someone not having done his homework. :wink: Or maybe you haven’t looked into AIOCF yet?

AMBA designs video chips for video cameras. They sell these chips to companies in various segments of the video camera industry. AMBA does not sell cameras (chip supply to others who market and sell the cameras). One of these markets is the camera security market. AIOCF specializes in video surveillance solutions. They not only provide the cameras but the whole security solution including data storage. The two companies are not competitors.

Busted.

Chris,

AIOCF sells some Go Pro cameras. I did read they manufacture cameras also but didn’t quite understand why in a world of too many camera makers, someone in the security business would make their own. I also understand they have an advantage of being the only end to end digital security system with software (artificial intelligence company recently purchased) and hardware but I didn’t get the nuances, since they also said their products were compatible with legacy products and could be integrated easily. This kind of confusing message (for me) is why I rely on smarter guys (like you and Saul) to come up with some clarification and hence the post here. (Call it fuzzy thinking instead of fuzzy logic.)

Once I get my portfolios down to size (working on that slowly but very intently these days), I should be able to have a better in depth understanding of each company. For now, I have to punt now and again.

So they are not competitors although I noticed AMBA has a rapidly growing security camera division/business. It’s that growth from AMBA and AIOCF’s growth that I thought might be competitive but now I understand is only the chips that AMBA sells to others who sell security systems.

Thanks for the clarification and no, you aren’t being harsh but I just need more help than some of the rest of the pros on this board.
Mykie

1 Like

Mykie,

I think ubiquiti is doing security cameras with software. Saw some good reviews, and price competitive. They also do outside access points to help with transmission of the video streams.

http://www.ubnt.com/airvision

Iain

1 Like