America's new 21 year old Superstar

A cultural earthquake has taken place today as we witnessed the most incredible victory in the largest golf venue in the world by young 21 year old Jordan Speith.

This win is bigger than golf. This earthquake has delivered what America has wanted: The next superstar in golf that will endure for the next couple of decades.

What does this mean for UA? I can only compare this to what Tiger did for Nike at the same age. Class and humility in your biggest flag bearer will benefit the bottom line for UA and for those of us fortunate enough to be shareholders.

Jim

3 Likes

“A cultural earthquake has taken place today as we witnessed the most incredible victory in the largest golf venue in the world by young 21 year old Jordan Speith.”

Wow, really???

I like golf, although I like playing it a lot more than watching it.
I am very impressed with Jordan Speith’s golf game, poise, and humility for a 21 year old. He obviously has a good set of parents and was raised right.

none of that will make me go out and buy any UA product. I’ve used their cold weather gear while hunting in very cold weather, and was not impressed. I got better results just using the time tested technique of multiple layers.

I also did not buy any NIKE products when Tiger was dominating, it was all hype to me.

19 Likes

Can you imagine playing 14 under for the tournament and losing?

1 Like

Yeah, that’s like beating the market by 4 points and the market was down 7 points … you still lost money !

2 Likes

“I also did not buy any NIKE products when Tiger was dominating, it was all hype to me.”

I don’t own UA or Nike, I’m fairly new at investing, but I do know sports - and Nike products are certainly not all hype.

For instance, when developing Kobe Bryant’s sneaker, Nike researchers spent days observing Kobe play basketball and workout at their facilities so they could uniquely tailor his sneaker to his specific style of play. The research that went into this and the instruments they used to do this were state of the art too.

In a similar way, UA uses some pretty neat innovations in their athletic wear. Both sports apparel outfits are far more than just the latest style or trendy fad. Behind the style lies some hefty substance.

Now, there are obviously some products where this will be more true than others. Polo-type golf shirts and possibly hunting wear might very well just be the companies cashing in on over-priced products. But a lot of R&D goes into a lot of their products.

And Jordan’s win certainly can’t be bad for UA, as the only time I saw him wear anything without that logo was a gaudy green jacket at the end of the tournament.

5 Likes

whether you believe in nke, ua tiger or speith, as an investor: if you had bought nike stock in 1997(the year tiger turned 21)you would be up 800% on your stock purchase.

signing current and future stars helps build the brand and that ua logo looked great on tv the last 4 days!

8 Likes

"signing current and future stars helps build the brand and that ua logo looked great on tv the last 4 days! "

you are correct about that, the UA logo was getting a ton of air time !
I just get annoyed with the stated or implied claims that using these type of products will lead to huge improvements :slight_smile:

As an active and lifelong participant in all kinds of sports, over the years I have found the advertised claims to be hype.

I drank Gatorade, but I was never able to “Be Like Mike” when I played basketball.

I never did buy any Nike equipment or apparel, but I’m 100% certain that if I had, it would not have led to me crushing a golf ball like Tiger did in his prime.

I did try UA cold weather gear, and found it to be as effective as any other cold weather underwear, no more or no less, but more expensive.

I’m sure Nike and UA have been great investments for you, congratulations on that !

this is a great investing board, and I know it is not a “product review” board, so my previous thoughts/opinions on marketing hype were out of place. I apologize for that.

I’ve been reading through a lot of old posts, and it looks like Saul is definitely a growth investor, and he has had great success at it.
I look forward to continued learning on this board.

1 Like

this is a great investing board, and I know it is not a “product review” board, so my previous thoughts/opinions on marketing hype were out of place. I apologize for that.

Anything that affects the stock’s price is fair game on an investing board, IMO.

Denny Schlesinger

Some perspective on just how good the field was this year.
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/jordan-spieth-played-a-gr…

Whether or not you’re buying any products, it is inspiring to see a young person excel in sports. It is fun to have someone to cheer for and it’s good to see a “good guy” winning.

Great Masters, totally fun to watch and congrats to Jordan Speith!

Karen

1 Like

It is fun to have someone to cheer for and it’s good to see a “good guy” winning.

Apparently Stephen Curry is also one of those good guys. He went to a non-NBA college (Davidson) and by all accounts is very well grounded. In addition, in a league that sports genetic outliers in terms of size and athleticism, he is fairly normal at 6’3" and 185 pounds.

Glad to have him on Under Armour’s team as well.

Jeb

1 Like

“I just get annoyed with the stated or implied claims that using these type of products will lead to huge improvements :-)”

zenbro, this quote made me laugh… but if they told people they needed to PRACTICE and work for the improvements also, I doubt it would go over well.

However, I don’t think many people buy UA products thinking it will make them a better athlete. They buy them for the product’s performance (perceived or actual) over their other choices for gear.

I like UA products, have bought many over the years, and I also have not liked some of them. UA or not, there are some environments where the sweat wicking properties just don’t work either.

One thing for sure that this win shows is that their team who scouts for athletes to sponsor shot a hole in one (pun intended) with Speith.

2 Likes