Any other screaming deals out there?

OLED is getting cheap but there earnings are spotty.

Been adding to all the usuals but I need more places to put money.
(UBNT, SYNA, BOFI, CELG, GILD, MU, THRM, PFIE, SZYM, SWKS)

Hopefully earnings season will stop the slide.

Keith

I am with you. UBNT, BOFI, SWKS and SWIR…

Johnny

My vote’s for OLED. Lots of attention on Samsung’s shortfalls when LG’s the one getting the TV’s out there at (reasonably) affordable prices:

http://amzn.to/1CYXKf5

Lighting also seems to be getting legs, and with recent breakthroughs in blue emitters, things seem to be aligning. My sense is that we’re finally on the cusp of OLED (the technology) taking off and OLED (the company) is particularly well positioned.

The upcoming earning call will shed some light (ahem) on the subject no doubt…

• Khleb
2 Likes

Been adding to all the usuals but I need more places to put money.
(UBNT, SYNA, BOFI, CELG, GILD, MU, THRM, PFIE, SZYM, SWKS)

Ok I’m running with the pack.
Took a second bite of UBNT

Have plenty of BOFI GILD…

JT

Taking all those stocks as a group, with little in common except high P/E, whether you make money from buying today and owning for a year depends mostly on whether the bull market will continue or not.
If this is the start of a big bad bear, you most likely will lose money on all of them. IOW the biggest risk is outside of the companies themselves .
Are we in a bear market? I don’t know. If we are, it’s too early to call.

1 Like

UBNT, SYNA, BOFI, CELG, GILD, MU, THRM, PFIE, SZYM, SWKS… Taking all those stocks as a group, with little in common except high P/E…

Hi Mauser,

I don’t know GILD, MU or THRM (but I think GILD has a low PE and it’s listed with a 23 PE on Yahoo Finance). SZYM has no earnings.

However… UBNT, SYNA, BOFI, CELG, PFIE, and SWKS all have low, low, PE’s for such rapidly growing companies.

The PE’s of UBNT, SYNA, BOFI, PFIE, and SWKS are all under 20!!! The PE of CELG is well under 30.

I don’t know how you figure “high PE”, but that’s not it.

Saul

7 Likes

re P/E - I stand corrected.

Even if SYNA has a ttm P/E of 55 according to Yahoo. And several others are in the 25 range. Higher than S&P 500 P/E of around 18. . Not cheap. But mostly not really high either.

P/E based on expectations is just a guess, even though I use it too. Past earnings are a fact, future earnings are an opinion.

They will still do badly in a bear market. Which considering patterns after declines of this magnitude is a distinct possibility, though odds wise it is more likely to be just a correction. Time will tell.

Actually I own a small UBNT position and a larger one in GILD. So I’m not entirely a bystander here.

Hi Mauser, I use adjusted earnings as reported by the companies, which are almost always more rational, usually higher, though sometimes markedly lower than GAAP. (For instance, a company I was looking at had had a quarter in which they sold a subsidiary at a large profit, and the GAAP earnings were ridiculously high. Adjusted earnings were normal, as they should be. Using adjusted earnings as reported, all those companies were indeed at trailing earnings which gave PE’s under 20 (I don’t usually use forward earnings either).

Saul