Anybody Have a Link to Coppock Curve Indicator?

I found lots of Coppock Curve charts from years past, but nothing on current data. Anybody got a link to a real time Coppock Curve chart or spreadsheet for June 2022?

My gut says the market decline is not over. I’d like to start watching the Coppock Curve Indicator to get a feel for when the psychological side of the market turns positive.

From Wikipedia:
Coppock, the founder of Trendex Research in San Antonio, Texas, was an economist. He had been asked by the Episcopal Church to identify buying opportunities for long-term investors. He thought market downturns were like bereavements and required a period of mourning. He asked the church bishops how long that normally took for people, their answer was 11 to 14 months and so he used those periods in his calculation.[2]

A buy signal is generated when the indicator is below zero and turns upwards from a trough. No sell signals are generated (that not being its design). The indicator is trend-following, and based on averages, so by its nature it doesn’t pick a market bottom, but rather shows when a rally has become established.

1 Like

I found lots of Coppock Curve charts from years past, but nothing on current data. Anybody got a link to a real time Coppock Curve chart or spreadsheet for June 2022?

I track it.

The Coppock is, by construction, designed to look out for the moment of upturn after a bear market that has been moderately long lasting.
It worries less about the depth of the drop; it’s more about trying to guess when people are tired of being pessimistic, so elapsed time is important.

The last two buy signals were at the end of May 2016 and the end of May 2009.
The market was up 17.4% and 20.6% respectively in the subsequent year.

The true Coppock signal gives only buy signals, no sell signals. And all signals are at the ends of calendar months.
However there is a pretty obvious way to interpret it to give a bullish/bearish state at every month end.
That is still bullish, and not really close to flipping.

Jim

6 Likes

“Coppock, the founder of Trendex Research in San Antonio, Texas, was an economist. He had been asked <in 1962> by the Episcopal Church to identify buying opportunities for long-term investors. He thought market downturns were like bereavements and required a period of mourning. He asked the church bishops how long that normally took for people, their answer was 11 to 14 months and so he used those periods in his calculation.” - Wikipedia

See also: Behavioral economics, unacknowledged founder of

–sutton

2 Likes