Apple Plans Subscription Model for iPhone, Other

https://www.cnet.com/tech/apple-plans-subscription-model-for…

If a subscription model were applied, customers wouldn’t own Apple products, but would pay a monthly fee to use Apple products, like a person paying rent. While still in development, the subscription service could reportedly launch by next year and be bundled into AppleCare and Apple One plans.

My initial reaction was full blown done with Apple. But what is different, other than not owning the phone? I, as most people, pay the phone of monthly anyway.

2 Likes

hookemfins
My initial reaction was full blown done with Apple. But what is different, other than not owning the phone? I, as most people, pay the phone of monthly anyway.

It’s their ‘toe in the water’ of moving towards the SaaS model.

A constant revenue stream. Great concept. It works in other places. Will it work with the majority of Apple users? The base, for starters, is really deep and wide. And LOYAL!!!

Time will tell.

(I predict that it might show a ‘blip’ in new customer sign ups, but then resume their upward curve.)

2 Likes

It’s their ‘toe in the water’ of moving towards the SaaS model.

But this would be the HaaS model, wouldn’t it? That is, “Hardware as a Service”. That strikes me as asking for a whole different set of problems. Software doesn’t “break” after all (bugs don’t count).

1 Like

But this would be the HaaS model, wouldn’t it? That is, “Hardware as a Service”. That strikes me as asking for a whole different set of problems.

…it’s basically the same service Apple offers today, where you “buy” the iPhone over 24 months, but can ‘renew’ the purchase after 24 months and get a new iPhone in the process…

…or similar to paying a carrier over 24 months…

…Apple looks to merely be bundling all their services and the iPhone in one payment…

…and it’s only for those who find the deal compelling…

2 Likes

I don’t like “One more monthly bill!” so we’ve been buying them outright, so then it’s only the service provider billing… We could combine with CATV/Internet access, but I don’t like having all our eggs in one basket, so we have separate cellular, and, so far still retain our old landline, but it’s on the edge of leaving…

Don’t like it…

However, just pass it on as an investor’s dividend, no monthly! That would work…

2 Likes

wecoguy

I don’t like “One more monthly bill!”

Ditto here. I don’t care if it’s even just five bucks or so. Plugging them in is like being a maple tree, and having a spout drilled in your bank account for continuous siphoning off $$$.

(FWIW: Not iPhone users here. But think Apple does a good job of user support, etc. As witnessed by their command in the market place.)

PS: AAPL stock is a fair chunk of the port here.

I don’t like “One more monthly bill!” so we’ve been buying them outright, so then it’s only the service provider billing…

…I hear you…

…the siphon from the bank account is becoming a raging river it seems…

…however, I usually look at pricing from a “per month” viewpoint, whether it’s an iPhone, vitamins, or a pair of jeans…

…if I buy a new iPhone for 1,500 dollars all in, I immediately divide it by 24 months to get a rough idea of what it’s costing me per month ($62.00) and how long I need to keep it to get the price down to a more palatable amount…

…3 years would be $42.00 per month, etc…

…but after a couple of years, I’m using an “older model” phone…

…if Apple could get the monthly price to a reasonable level, it may be attractive to some folks as they can always carry the latest iPhone around, and not pay much more than they are already…

…some Apple products, like the MBP I’m typing on seem to last forever…this one is 10 years old and has a monthly cost of about 17 dollars, and is still running strong…

…iPhone’s on the other hand, are basically junk once you’re out 4 years or more…

…at least mine are…

1 Like

CMFHuibs
…iPhone’s on the other hand, are basically junk once you’re out 4 years or more…

…at least mine are…

Feeling like a cheapskate piker here… (which is basically pretty much accurate!)

My lonely too small a screen sized LG Android antique… is coming up on just shy of its 6th birthday…

As long as I can call out ‘anywhere’, receive calls ‘anywhere’, and the battery only needs recharging once a week…

Well, two out of three ain’t bad… reliable little beastie, I can’t just toss it like an old shoe, can I?

1 Like

Well, the difference in usage is also a factor, for us, long retired, but once were travelers, the iPhones have been a good link, many pics, data/info on board, and now even more links to our health monitoring for afib (it picked up DW’s episodes), and fall help if needed… Our DD ran her business nearly completely from her iPhone, and as she began failing due to a nasty brain tumor, it became her last link to her world… Sometimes a new one, but she, like us generally trade up after a few years as features tempt us…

I’ve been tangled in tech from my earliest days in Western Electric, 1963, as I watched, learned about solid state hardware, logic, a bit of software, then saw it all grow up and up… Recently clicked over 80, but still interested in the latests widgets, long retired now, I spent a lot of the later years installing cellular systems, seeing them slide up into ever more abilities… But as a retiree, monthly fees are not what we want… But, if it turns out to be reasonable, maybe it can be looked at down the road…

Many things to consider… But Apple/APPL have been a major boon to our financial security…

7 Likes

wecoguy

Many things to consider… But Apple/APPL have been a major boon to our financial security…

Just wish I could make the same claim.

Dear spouse campaigned for buying in when Jobs returned to Apple after his forced expulsion. Bright me said he was just a one trick pony, the Mac was it and he was done and done. Really smart decision that. NOT.

Finally got on the Apple bandwagon. TWO YEARS AGO. Nice CAGR since, but could have been lots better if I had listened to my bright gal.

Hind sight gets clearer and clearer with each passing year.

2 Likes

My buy-in was back in '93 & '96, I thought it was earlier, but I fiddled around and blew it on some ‘tax-free’ bonds, before finally diving in, so the gains have been pretty decent… And now dividends, better yet…

But I was into Apple ][+ way back, belonged to some local area User Groups, watched as folks dove off into various business ventures, some pretty successful… But I was locked into my WeCo Installation fun n game, benefits, pension, so I wasn’t into leaving that… But met a lot of interesting people, as well as watching things change, personally as well as in the tech world of telecom… I erred in thinking telecom was going our way at Lucent, so took a big loss there, but APPL has more than made up for it… Fun times…