Are community colleges making the grade?

1 Like

Usually it’s the weakest students that end up in community college rather than a regular 4-year college. So it stands to reason that the weaker students will have a lower chance of completing their degree. Losing credits during transfer certainly doesn’t help.

Some colleges, especially those who want to make their elite status clear, don’t accept any transfer credits at all. When one of my kids toured Emory a few years ago, they made it clear that they take no transfer credits at all, not from AP, and not from any other college out there. They also made it clear that they give no merit scholarships. None of my other kids have toured, or will tour, Emory. I’m pretty sure that Emory does this primarily because they want to extract maximum tuition from each student that attends their school.

My mentee (starting in 2010 at age 10) did Running Start at the local community college, substituting for her junior and senior years of high school. She did this primarily because, in her opinion, the local high school was substandard, with weak expectations and about 20% of her classmates on drugs in class (some teachers, too). So the community college gave the more rigorous course work she wanted. Some (not all) of the credits were transferable to her 4 year college.

She got her high school diploma and AA at the same time. She went to a different state to complete her B.S. on an athletic scholarship. She is completing her Ph.D. in Physical Therapy this year.
Wendy

6 Likes

I have two cousins who, unfortunately, could not get into Purdue after high school due to being weak students. So they went to a two-year college (it was not a community college) with the understanding the credits would transfer. They still couldn’t get into Purdue, but they did get into Indiana State. So it’s not just community colleges that have this problem.

There is a reason why ISU took the credits that Purdue would not, and it all has to do with the quality of the two universities. As MarkR mentions, some colleges … don’t accept any transfer credits at all. I would say, however, it’s not just about being “elite”. It’s about some schools are significantly better than others. Why accept Calculus credits from a sub-standard college if it does not prep students properly for the more difficult Differential Equations coming up?

I don’t know what a college curriculum looks like these days. 50 years ago, Whatsa Matta U bulked up the courses with a lot of “general education” classes, and even two credits of phys ed were required. Seems those classes would be the ones to knock off in a community college.

At Whatsa Matta U, everyone ended up taking “non-western world”, to knock off some “general ed” credits. Super easy class: the lectures were all on video tape, shown in an auditorium. Then the section would break up for “discussion” sessions. Amazing what questions on the tests stumped some people tho. I remember one: “if you are in India, facing Pakistan, and go to your right, what country do you come to?” I remember how frustrated the teacher was that a significant number of the students did not understand the question, let alone know the answer. …and we were paying four year college tuition for this class.

To the people who have had community college credits refused, were they from a community college in the same state as a state university that rejected the credits? I went to a community college in Dearborn, MI for a year, before transferring to a 4 year Michigan university. All my drafting, math and chemistry credits transferred without a problem.

Steve

3 Likes

Well, don’t keep us in suspense - what is the right answer: India? disputed Kashmir? Nepal? China? maybe Pakistan if you are standing in Tanot, India? Or is that my left hand?
Afghanistan might even work!

JimA

3 Likes

One of my kids did that here, except they call it “dual enrollment”, you get all the requirements for a high school diploma, but also take a bunch of college courses that mostly can count as credit towards a bachelors degree eventually. It’s a really good thing for certain types of students.

They also have a high school here in South Florida connected to a local college where they take High School/College courses throughout high school (9th - 12th) and many students can then graduate rather quickly with a bachelors degree.

2 Likes

They didn’t specify how far to the right, so just knowing that India is generally east of Pakistan and therefore to your right becomes generally north, Russia is up there somewhere.

Taking it to the extreme, you’ll find Canada and the US in that general direction as well.

—Peter

Maybe we should all start posting our Worldle scores.

#Worldle #467 5/6 (100%)
:green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::arrow_right:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_right:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_down:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_down:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::tada:
https://worldle.teuteuf.fr

1 Like

What the teacher was looking for was China. He probably would have accepted anything in that direction.

Steve

1 Like

#Worldle #468 1/6 (100%)
:star::star::coin:

1 Like

#Worldle #469 2/6 (100%)
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_left:

#Worldle #470 1/6 (100%)

1 Like