Arista and Infinera Validate DCI solution

On the eve of Arista’s earnings release:

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/infinera-arista-val…

Infinera and Arista Validate Performance of Low-Latency, High-Bandwidth Datacenter Interconnect Solution

SUNNYVALE, CA–(Marketwired - November 04, 2015) - Infinera, provider of Intelligent Transport Networks, announced an independent test report validating an Infinera-Arista joint datacenter interconnect (DCI) solution. The Lippis Report, which provides independent testing of datacenter and enterprise networking solutions, issued a performance test report on the end-to-end DCI solution using Infinera’s Cloud Xpress optical DCI transport platform and Arista’s 7280 programmable switching platform. The report results validate that the Infinera-Arista joint DCI solution delivers line-rate 100 gigabit Ethernet (GbE) throughput and ultra-low latency, with extended reach and ease of use for real-world DCI applications.

Highlights of the Lippis test results include:

o End-to-end 100 GbE line-rate throughput with zero loss for any mix of traffic
o End-to-end latency under 20 microseconds (µs) between servers in different datacenters
o Up to 500 gigabit per second (Gb/s) dense wavelength division multiplexing (DWDM) bandwidth on one fiber pair with a single two rack unit (RU) Cloud Xpress
o Ability to extend over 150 kilometers (km) without any external amplification
o Low power consumption – less than one watt per Gb/s for the Cloud Xpress
o Ease of installation and operation, optimized for datacenter environments

“The Infinera-Arista end-to-end DCI solution is especially attractive for latency-sensitive applications, and can also be a great fit for a range of DCI use cases, such as business continuity, workload migration, data replication and big data analytics,” said Nick Lippis, principal and publisher of The Lippis Report. “The Infinera Cloud Xpress offers a small form factor and ease of use not previously available for DCI. I believe it will find a welcome reception in large enterprises who need to interconnect their datacenters with high bandwidth, low latency and low power.”

“We are thrilled to showcase this joint DCI solution with Arista and pleased to have the Lippis Report independently confirm the solution’s end-to-end performance under real-world conditions,” said Stu Elby, senior vice president, Cloud Network Strategy and Technology at Infinera. “For almost a year the Cloud Xpress has been proven in demanding customer environments, including hyperscale Internet content providers, Internet Exchange service providers and select enterprises. We are confident that Cloud Xpress is a great fit for a wider range of enterprise customers, from financial services to media and entertainment, and healthcare.”

“Arista is excited about our partnership with Infinera and we were delighted to team with Infinera to prove the capabilities of our joint DCI solution,” said Ed Chapman, vice president, business development and alliances at Arista. “The Lippis Report provides independent testimony to validate our previous end-to-end solution testing and extend it to 100 GbE. These efforts also complement our recent demonstration of Infinera’s Cloud Xpress integrating with Arista’s CloudVision software. We look forward to continued collaboration with Infinera to deliver complete solutions to our customers.”

The link to the actual Lippis report is here: http://www.infinera.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Lippis_Re…

Best,
–Kevin

4 Likes

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for the report and your many quality posts. I am long ANET and aware that they have penetrated 7 of the 8 data center Titans. Do you know how many of the 8 that INFN has penetrated?

Best regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I think their customer count for Cloud Xpress (their DCI product) stands at 14. Included in the 14 are “several of the top ICPs”, but we don’t know which ones. Also, “several” leaves it open for interpretation. If they used the word “most” I would interpret it as 6-7. If they used the word “many” I would think 3-4. “Several”, to me, feels like around 5.

Best,
–Kevin

I stand corrected:

http://www.writerightwords.com/write-right-couple-few-some-s…

By this, the order should go: couple < few < some < several < many

So if couple are two, a few are three and some are four, then several are five.

Many would be six and most would be seven. All would be eight.

:slight_smile:

Best,
–Kevin

3 Likes

Hello Kevin,

Many thanks, it appears this partnership of “clouds” could be lucrative.

Best regards,

Mike