AYX sales

Received a sales call from Alteryx today. I had been fiddling around with the software for fun but the per seat cost at $5k or so way beyond my needs.

The Alteryx rep made no offer of a discount on the fee, but simply trying to offer me help getting up to speed with the software.

Anecdotal, but no more anecdotal than the prior discounting discussion.

Tinker

7 Likes

Received a sales call from Alteryx today. I had been fiddling around with the software for fun but the per seat cost at $5k or so way beyond my needs.

The Alteryx rep made no offer of a discount on the fee, but simply trying to offer me help getting up to speed with the software.

Anecdotal, but no more anecdotal than the prior discounting discussion.

My initial thought about this is why is Alteryx spending sales resources on small companies. There was someone who is in a 10-man shop receiving solicitations. Tinker, how big is your law firm?

If land and expand is the strategy shouldn’t they be focusing on getting customers into which there is room to expand?

Chris

5 Likes

My initial thought about this is why is Alteryx spending sales resources on small companies. There was someone who is in a 10-man shop receiving solicitations. Tinker, how big is your law firm?

This isn’t uncommon at all. Over the weekend, I downloaded a Gartner white paper on SASE from ZS. I had an email from a Zscaler sales person early this morning in my inbox. That is what sales people do, they follow up with leads. Take it from someone who is in sales.

There is nothing to infer here.

AJ

12 Likes

Yes, but how are they to know if it is a good lead or not? All you do is put in your name and email. It only took about 30 seconds.

What would be a waste of time is to offer me free training without first inquiring if my business was worth investing the resources into.

But then again, this is over thinking. I have no idea of their sales process, the success or lack thereof, the data they are using to fine tune their processes, etc.

AYX stated one reason they are so good at the sales process is because of their own use of their product for data analysis. What you gonna do except sit in on a strategic sales meeting.

Tinker

3 Likes

Usually difference is field vs inside sales.

Tinker likely hit up by smb-focused inside sales rep.

Larger/field sales teams will be focused and hitched to global 1000-2000.

I dont see this call as a negative…plus with private companies there may be less visibility into seat size. And smb focus is built around fact that some smb accounts grow into next enterprise or global account.

Dreamer

9 Likes

The real test of how they use data would be any additional attempts to resale and how they used your data based on the call.

1 Like

Just wanted to provide a little color on this situation. Alteryx, like many other SaaS companies, has what are referred to as SDRs (sales development representatives). SDRs are the ones who vet all of the leads that the company receives, then forwards what they consider to be qualified leads to their account executives to execute the sales. The person that you encountered was probably just an SDR evaluating the lead you provided. Wouldn’t read into it too much.

6 Likes