Back in the saddle again

Welcome back to your regularly scheduled program.

5 Likes

My my.

Now, all I have to figure out is what the heck Iā€™m doing.

2 Likes

I just learned that we can now edit our posts. If I spell something wrong, or a sentence doesnā€™t make sense, it can now be fixed. Iā€™ll call that an improvement.

9 Likes

Hey, to my amazement they finally let me in for FREEEEEeeee! And like most of you I am looking around like a country bumpkin emerging out of PennStation onto the streets of New York gawking and stunned.

Happy to see our crazy mob is showing up.

10 Likes

Pete,

You never need to edit once posted. I on the other hand could improve termendouslyā€¦but wont put in the effort. It is the thought that counts. Not the spelling.

2 Likes

hey fb, we know the way out of the subway? Or we get lost trying.

1 Like

Iā€™m poking around, too, and figuring it out. Good to see itā€™s alive again! Nice job, Fools!
:man_dancing:

1 Like

Banging my head in frustration against the brick wall. Fine to reply to something that shows up, but having a hell of a time finding my favorite boards.

4 Likes

In the left hand column use the categories and tags.

2 Likes

completely overwhelming

3 Likes

In categories on the left look up investment analysis clubs, then macro economic trends andā€¦ click on the x for the investment analysis clubs to get rid of it, and hit save so that this board appears on the left under categories.

Wow. So much easier than clicking on the heart to follow a board. NOT. Even with your instructions, which I appreciate your trying. 4 days of rain coming, and maybe by then I will be ready to bang my head against the wall some more. Until then, itā€™s worse than I feared and sorry I tried. Preferred having happy memories rather than memories of total frustration.

I guess this is one way to weed out those of us who are less tech saavy.

IP

6 Likes

Hey, you sound like me 36 hours ago. Please stick around, it Aint That Badā€¦

and I would miss you!

1 Like

Iā€™m kind of with you on this. Everything is different. Subjects are now topics. Boards are now Categories. Stuff has all sorts of new names and new places. Iā€™m still trying to find my way around.

But I donā€™t think this has anything to do with tech savvy. Itā€™s just a different way of organizing things - a way that is not natural to some of us. And yes, us. I find this kind of organization hard to use. Iā€™m an ā€œa place for everything and everything in itā€™s placeā€ kind of person. At least as far as message boards go. But nothing has a place here. I want just a simple list of boards I follow. There isnā€™t one any more.

Thereā€™s kind of one in the side bar - click on the 3 stacked lines at the top of the page to open or close it. But itā€™s not really the same. It only lists stuff with activity, based on some nebulous definition of activity. That makes it harder to post something new on a specific board because the board isnā€™t there if thereā€™s no unread activity. And thereā€™s way more stuff there as well, just cluttering up things.

I donā€™t have a solution, but I am committed to giving this a try. Maybe Iā€™ll learn how to use this discussion board system. Maybe not. But Iā€™m committing to a week to see what I can do.

4 Likes

I am lost. I am so lost. This is my first post in the new system, I hope it wonā€™t be my last, but I am lost, and itā€™s dark, and itā€™s cold. I hope for helicopters over head, or at least a way to find some organization scheme, but for now I am lost. I may starve.

7 Likes

Perfect description! Good to see you and everybody. What a relief! How to work this is another matter but at least Iā€™m in the neighborhood.

Iā€™ve been finding MERaR by using the old ā€œFavoriteā€™sā€ listing page, which is a multi-hop process.

Has anyone found where they hide an index of your favorite boards?

Jeff :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They donā€™t have one - you kind of have to recreate it.

If you go to the CATEGORIES tab on the left side of the screen, you can add METAR (and other top-level categories) and create something approximating a Favorites listing. ā€œCategoriesā€ are only the very high level groupings - so you canā€™t do that for individual stocks or other topic groupings (like the ā€œFolly in X Stateā€) that used to be boards in TMF 1.0. There, you have to rely on tags, not categories.

4 Likes

If there is another site everyone is going to please let us know. I donā€™t see any of the great posters here. Please widely broadcast where everyone is! I hate this organization format also and not likely my brain will change at this age.

2 Likes

I think I would characterise this message board software as maybe more like a pub/sub publishing platform more than a message board.

Pub/sub is sort of likeā€¦ people/software pour in messages and events at the top of a funnel (with tags or whatever) - e.g. ā€˜replyā€™, ā€˜chatā€™, ā€˜postā€™ things etc tagged with ā€˜Macroā€™, ā€˜Berkshireā€™ tags etc.

The platform then filters all those things through to readers who are interested & subscribed to receiving those messages/events (reply to my message, new post about berkshire which I am interested in, etc).

Pub/Sub is more powerful in general, but also more complex and not so intuitive as a metaphor.

Whereas on a traditional message board, publishing and subscription take place on a single theme, in a single ā€˜placeā€™, and it more closely relates to the function of a real world message board as a physical object.

I think there is an acute case of feature-itis present too, sometimes less is more.

None of this is necessarily ā€˜badā€™, Iā€™m just explaining it like this to try and help put the right metaphors in place so people who are baffled can maybe figure out what is going on.

4 Likes