Beam Global Investor Call Notes

Here’s a list of customers. That’s not quite up to date since they just got orders from the UK Ministry of Defense last month, (which I posted) but I’m sure they’re all totally wrong. Even NASA. I mean, can’t they do math?

The US Army, Navy, and Marines are all customers as well as the DoD, DoE, DHS, DoT, NSA and many, many others national, state, and local agencies as well as entire states and cities. They have headquarters in San Diego, are building out a Chicago facility and have the new property in Serbia. As you would learn if you watched the tour of that new facility, that acquisition came with their customer list, including many current customers in Europe and Africa.

Don’t mean to be snarky, but I’m sorry this older thread was resurrected instead of the one I posted today, or any of the news from them I’ve posted more recently. Every time I go to link something for a question someone has asked, I’m asked by the interface whether I really want to post what I just linked, since I’ve posted it before.

As Saul said, earlier up in this same thread:

Sorry, but it seems to me that a lot of the criticism of this company comes from not having taken the trouble to learn anything about it.

I’m not trying to badger anyone into a position. But I’m in it, as is @SaulR80683 , @wpr101, and maybe others, so–since I’m the one who introduced it, I figured it was appropriate to post news of the company, which is a pretty steady stream. When I post, I try to do a thorough job of linking to relevant information/videos/press releases that answer questions people have.

If those things don’t lead you to take a position, all well and good. We all have sectors and companies and whatever that we don’t like or we simply don’t believe the CEO/Company can do what they say.

Likewise, if you don’t have time to read through a post and follow the links, no one is cracking that whip either.

But please don’t slam a company mentioned on a thread from the middle of last month and ignore my long post introducing it from the end of January, or the eight times I’ve posted about it since this February 15 thread, including earlier today. That post included a link to a podcast that specifically addressed the speed of charging and storage capacity issues.

Beam Global is a tiny company. It has significant risks. It won’t be for everyone. I have done my best to provide links so that people who want to can “do your own due diligence.” I don’t have the answer to every question, but I have done my best to link to others who at least take a stab at it.

Sorry if I sound testy. I’m remembering my English teacher mother who would sigh over book reports where the student had obviously not read the book.

JR

10 Likes

What going on with the reporting of BEEM’s earnings? I thought it was supposed to be today according to multiple sources. Now I see Robinhood has it as May 13 after hours, and Yahoo just has the generic range of April 3 - April 7.

Their last report was on November 14, so it seems like they are way overdue to report?

I’m not liking that the investor relations page doesn’t give any info on when this is going to be and the brokerage services don’t seem to know either.

7 Likes

They filed this with the SEC on March 28. Since the Serbian acquisition closed at the very end of the year, they asked for an extension for filing.

JR

5 Likes

As a retired army communicator I can tell you solar has been on use for some time-- but for communications devices, not for vehicles. Even given the size of these units, I don’t see the military adopting them for vehicle use. The power output would just be too unreliable. They are big and bulky to drag around. Generators are just as easy and more reliable in all weather.

4 Likes

Generators don’t flood in 9.5 feet of water or have issues with 165 mph winds? That’s what Beam’s ARC systems can handle. Plus they have generator features built into them now–just 9.5 ft. up. The video below (which I’ve…ahem…posted before) at about the 6.50 minute mark has an officer from the UK talking about how they plan to use the units they just bought to test in Cyprus.

JR

1 Like

Guilty as charged - no I did not follow every link and watch every video. Maybe I’ve had my fill of “tiny” companies. It seemed obvious to me from @ibuildthings post that commercial applications for this product pretty much don’t exist. If they were to secure customers at all, they would be government and most likely military. And from what you’ve just posted in your “snarky” reply, you seem to have confirmed that.

Having spent 30 years at Boeing I’m very familiar with defense and space contracting. It’s relatively easy to sell a few units of almost any more or (often) less promising technology that might find some application in certain circumstances. That’s a far cry from getting production orders for hundreds or thousands of units to be widely deployed.

I admit, I’ve not reviewed Beam’s financial statements. I haven’t a clue if they have escalating revenues or if any customer has placed orders for thousands of units. I suspect not because as you stated, it’s a tiny company.

That’s not all bad and they may do very well and you might be very, very happy with your early investment. Afterall, almost all big, successful companies were tiny companies early in their life.

As for me, I’ll sit on the sidelines (but I will read your posts). I really don’t mind missing out on the early innings and missing the opportunity to buy the stock at a bargain price. The fact of the matter is I don’t think I’ve ever been in on the ground floor of any investment that has worked out well for me. It’s not for want of trying, it’s just every “great opportunity” I’ve snapped at when it was a tiny company turned out to be a loser.

BTW, I live in the Seattle area, I had an opportunity to go to work for Microsoft before they went public. I passed. I met Schultz in the early days of Starbucks when one of the first stores was located at the Pike Place Public Market. And yeah, I knew about Amazon in the early days as well when it was the first internet book store. I missed all of these opportunities. The only “great” tiny company opportunities I bought into are companies that you wouldn’t recognize for good reason (other than Aehr).

So I sincerely hope this works out for you and you keep posting about their amazing growth and success so that I can come to the party a bit later.

9 Likes

Last thing, I promise. I’m fond of you @brittlerock , so just humor me here. Just click on one link. The first one…the customer list. I talked about the military use because you thought they would have no use for the Beam system. I did not say they were the only use or that there were no commercial applications.

From the 170 customers on the list in that first link, there are also some small commercial outfits like Google, Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson, and GM. There’s Honda and Cadillac and Volvo Construction Equipment (since their systems can charge more than cars).

There’s Kohl’s and Northrup Grumman, Abbvie and Genentech. There are a fair number of universities, including Auburn, James Madison, Rice, and Rutgers.

And in the latest videos with the New York State Parking and Transportation people, they mention that New York City has over a thousand units.

I totally get not wanting to take a risk on a very early stage company. But I promise that I don’t transcribe all the information in the links into the narration in my posts. An absence of a detail in my writing about a press release or video or other link does not mean the thing you’re wondering about is not there. I try to tailor my response to what is asked, not what isn’t.

There are plenty of commercial applications, including having convenient charging available for your employees and/or customers. Before I’d ever heard of Beam, we’d even had conversations in my church Board of Trustees about putting at least one charging station in our church parking lot! They decided we couldn’t handle the infrastructure/construction requirements.

Best to you and all who venture into the wild waters of investing!
JR

16 Likes

Not trying to be argumentative, and am focusing on military uses. I have seen the military buy lots of interesting toys in very limited numbers for very niche uses. I can’t speak to any other customers, but the power output is just very small for any thing substantial. I do however think that helping to top off an electric vehicle in a business parking lot is great, but is the juice worth the squeeze.

5 Likes

I would like to echo what brittlerock says about tiny companies.

JabbokRiver42, I understand the fun of the hunt among small and micro caps for the next big winner. I can’t help but do it myself. Right now I own IESC, MoneyLion, RxSight, and a few others - all of which are small caps that I believe may grow big and all of which have really great returns for me thus far.

I call them my gambles and I wouldn’t even consider bringing them to the board yet or investing a lot of money in them at the beginning. MoneyLion shows the best promise but nope, not yet.

I have fallen in love with small caps with great premises that have totally bombed. One example is dermtech. It produced a more accurate reading for melanoma than a biopsy with a patch you placed on the spot and then removed. How could it fail? Well, execution and going against an established practice that made doctors and labs money, that’s how.

The thing I have learned the very hard way is that even if you are very smart and even if an idea is brilliant, small caps bomb for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with how good the idea is or isn’t.

My philosophy, (which echoes the recent wisdom of Saul re: this company) is that with small and especially micro caps, you take a tiny position and you exercise patience. Because if it really is the next big thing, it will take itself up and you can add as it proves itself and if it is not, you have not lost your shirt.

Bright people are giving good feedback on this stock that is worrisome for the stock. I’d like to add that Seeking Alpha gives it the lowest possible quant rating - strong sell. It’s hard to earn that! (Board elders - do not delete this post based on that, the quant rating is mostly quantitative not technical and takes factors such as profitability and growth into perspective. Valuation will never push a good stock into a strong sell but strong sells have a great track record of bombing.) That alone should provide caution.

Right now this stock is down 5% YTD and 55% in a year. It is not a winner.

Rather than inundate us with press releases and videos from this company, may I suggest you wait patiently for quarterly earnings and gloat when they come in great and the stock shoots up? I would also strongly recommend you lower your investment - it’s only a 90M stock and it will be a 10x to 1B if you are right. You can double your investment every good earnings and come out very well indeed if this is the big hit you think it will be.

22 Likes

Yes, thank you for your post. Beam will of course only provide information that puts them in the best possible light. I don’t hold that against them. Every company does this (or at least should do this, there are rare exceptions).

My strategy with this company is to just wait patiently on the sidelines. If the company truly performs and the stock price reflects the performance, I’ll be tempted to maybe ease in.

9 Likes

I’ve been ignoring this company since after a quick look I decided this wasn’t a charging model that’s going to win, and probably won’t survive.

I assume their main product is the unfortunately named “EV Arc 2020” (because that seems to be 4 years out of date, lol).

The specs (info sheet here; https://beamforall.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/BEAM-EV-ARC-2020-Info-Sheet-v1.1.pdf ) are not compelling:

• Max 40kWh of storage
• Only 4.4kW of solar throughput (at high noon)
• Max car charge rate of 5.76kW
• Cost is about $65,000 (from here)

A Tesla LR trim has about 81kWh of battery storage. So, at best the 40 kWh in this thing will give you a 50% top-off overnight. The charge rate tops out at 5.76kW, which equivalent to a 24 amp Level 2 charger. Which means you’ll need 7 hours to get that 50% charge.

If you want more charge, you’ll need to charge during daylight hours, but the solar array at 4.4kW limits you to 18 amps of L2 charging - less than a clothes dryer.

And all this is before storage and charging losses. Drop the above numbers by 10%-15%. For them to talk about charging multiple vehicles from this is kind of laughable. Even at $0.25/kWh, it’ll take 6,500 overnight charges for this thing to break even: That’s almost 18 years if you include weekend driving and assume it doesn’t break down or have its internal batteries degrade. The “265 e-miles” of charge per day claim probably assumes not only the most efficient EV, but also that it’s at the charger for a full 24 hours on a sunny day in the summer.

So, what’s the driving use case for this? It’s good where there is no other electrical infrastructure where you want to slow charge cars, or charge them somewhat overnight. Is that some kind of compelling use case that will result in enough volumes to make this worthwhile? And even if so, it seems clear that packaging up solar panels, batteries, and an off the shelf EV charger is far from being patent protectable.

Am I missing anything here?

18 Likes