Bear's Portfolio at the end of May

Bear,

“This may be a little optimistic, but I don’t plan to work until I’m 59. Hence, I’ve started investing a little in a taxable account. I do tend to do more buys and sells in the 401k so I don’t have to worry about the tax implications.”

We went out at 55/54. Taxable accounts can be valuable for that. There are no restrictions for age associated with withdrawals.

By the same token, a Roth can be valuable there also. Contributions can be withdrawn tax/penalty free. The first contribution must be held 5 years prior to taking a distribution. Earnings(growth) can not be taken (in normal circumstances) until 59 1/2. It is all tax free. Also Roth IRA’s are the only tax advantaged account that is exempt from Required Minimum Distributions (RMD) starting in the year you turn 70 1/2.

A taxable account will create some type of taxable event for a sale or dividend payment.

“Are there any advantages to an IRA (roth or not) over a 401k especially in regard to early retirement? I’ve always seen them as somewhat interchangeable.”

401K accounts normally have higher management fees associated with them compared to IRA’s. (Ours have none)

401K’s do offer pre-59 1/2 distributions if you retire from the company.

IRA’s can also be tapped early if you use a SEPP (72t plan) of periodic payments.

That is the basics.

Gene
All holdings and some stats on my profile page
http://my.fool.com/profile/gdett2/info.aspx

5 Likes

Bear,

I don’t think that is optimistic at all. Should be realistic for most people earning average wage, but, here is the important part, living within their means.

In interest of not straying too far off topic, I recommend checkiing out the FIRE Wannabe board. Also take any advice Gene has to offer.

If I see you over there, I will follow up with.

Kevin

2 Likes

By the same token, a Roth can be valuable there also. Contributions can be withdrawn tax/penalty free.

That is huge. Thank you so much!

This is all great info too:

401K accounts normally have higher management fees associated with them compared to IRA’s. (Ours have none)

401K’s do offer pre-59 1/2 distributions if you retire from the company.

IRA’s can also be tapped early if you use a SEPP (72t plan) of periodic payments.

Thanks again!

Thanks, Kevin. Will do.

That is approximately annualized, and I think that with help and guidance, it will gradually improve over time. I don’t expect overnight improvement, especially as the market is slow and I’m not taking great risks.

Karen

I don’t think it’s actually that bad. Here’s an article that discusses 15 years (and that is close to the amount of time I have been involved with the stock market). I started in '99, tech bubble, oh yeah, that hurt.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-sp-500-index-is-not-you…

Bear

I want to strongly emphasize Gene’s Roth IRA recommendation. The younger you are when you start it, the more valuable it becomes and NO TAXES AT DISTRIBUTION assuming you follow the rules. I made my daughters start Roths early in their teens with the first paychecks they received.

David

2 Likes

In interest of not straying too far off topic, I recommend checkiing out the FIRE Wannabe board. Also take any advice Gene has to offer.

Hey, thanks, Kevin. I started that board years ago. I’m on pace to retire at age 50 and I consider that early.

Of course, I may still work, PT or even FT, as I want to make more money to invest more. I love investing. It’s a great hobby to have.

Fool on,

mazske

All holdings are listed in my profile

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s actually that bad. Here’s an article that discusses 15 years (and that is close to the amount of time I have been involved with the stock market). I started in '99, tech bubble, oh yeah, that hurt.

I started in 1999 also. I didn’t really learn what I was doing until I joined Stock Advisor in 2005. Since 2005, my XIRR is around 15%. It peaked a year or two ago around 20% and my goal is to get it back up to that.

Fool on,

mazske

Bear,

One more thing to consider is contribution limits. My wife and I (combined) exceed the IRS’s threshold to even contribute to a Roth (excluding recharacterization), and the contribution limit is currently $5,500. But through my employer, I can make Roth 401k contributions up to 15% of my income (I believe), with no threshold. Even with limited choices, that’s a huge advantage over what the IRS allows me to do individually.

They call me,
Mr TBS

1 Like

Good point Mr TBS – a good thing to note for anyone who wants to max out their 401k. If you contribute 18,000 before tax (traditional), that’s significantly less than contribution 18,000 after tax (Roth).