Bert Hochfeld's New Teladoc Article

The mighty Bert has spoken - read before it goes behind the paywall.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4370409-teladoc-600-lb-gori…

16 Likes

Thanks for posting this link.

This quote from the article is the one sentence summary IMO:

“if a reader is looking for an investment that should still be achieving hyper growth for several years into the future, and is a leader in the space, with a business model that should achieve decent profitability over time, than a I believe a commitment in the shares of TDOC will make sense.”

4 Likes

Not necessarily directed at you, Vinegar, but…

The mighty Bert has spoken - read before it goes behind the paywall.

Or you could have read it last Fri when Bert released it to subscribers. Along with many other articles/analysis from him that are never released to Seeking Alpha. And in the process, be supporting his work so that he’s able to continue to provide the in-depth analysis he does. I’ve been a subscriber for over a year and find his articles/emails/updates invaluable and timely for the minimal cost of membership.

And no, I’m not getting paid to promote his site.

35 Likes

Or you could have read it last Fri when Bert released it to subscribers.

Lol, Foodles making an example out of me. I actually did read it last Friday when it came out on his subscriber service. I also told the board not even a week ago that I subscribe to his service, so I didn’t feel the need to keep repeating myself - I didn’t want to sound like I’m promoting his paid services…

https://discussion.fool.com/quotexactly-i-don39t-see-this-culmin…

There was a time though when money was tighter than it is now, and I didn’t really know who Bert was. At that point in time, I would not have paid for his service, and I absolutely sought out free articles. Furthermore, during that time, I would have been skeptical of people hawking paid services to me.

The service is worth it, but I don’t think we need to chide people into paying if they are not comfortable yet.

47 Likes

Lol, Foodles making an example out of me.

And this is exactly why I led with the below comment, because I didn’t want it to sound like I was trying to do that, as I figured you probably were a subscriber.

Not necessarily directed at you, Vinegar…

:rofl:

6 Likes

All good, foodles. We are trying to say/do the same thing here - we just have different styles. Keeping this on topic - nothing wrong with reading his free articles if you’re new or skeptical or don’t have the means to subscribe yet. But on the other hand, those who have read and find his material useful are better off subscribing. It helps all of us in the long run to keep Bert employed lol.

A big part of why I bought LVGO in January, and then had the confidence to double/triple down in March was because of Bert’s free articles on Seeking Alpha. I actually didn’t start subscribing to ticker target until the TDOC LVGO deal happened - wish I had subscribed sooner though.

4 Likes

My investment percentage in this combined company has risen to a crazy high #1 holding (26%).

In light of 3 more very bullish SA articles today, i went searching for bearish calls for comfort and thankfully found this credible Forbes contrarian piece published last week.

Now i feel better. :slight_smile:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/petercohan/2020/08/18/4-risks-i…

4 Likes

I have to assume that Bert publishes some articles for free for a reason - and I assume that reason is to get “new” people to see his stuff (hoping that some % of them will eventually become paying members). So, if he has a great article freely available, I think he would thank vinegar for promoting it and telling people to view it.

So… on behalf of Bert… thanks Vinegar!

8 Likes

In my practice Telehealth calls have dropped significantly since April and May. I was doing several a day to <1/week. We don’t use the Teladoc platform but our trends make me think the “boom” in Telehealth is likely to slow quite a bit. For now at least! I sold Livongo shortly after the merger announcement as it just complicated the investment thesis for me.

13 Likes

“I have to assume that Bert publishes some articles for free for a reason - and I assume that reason is to get “new” people to see his stuff.”

Perhaps also because Bert has a business arrangement with Seeking Alpha, and he does right by his subscribers by advancing the article to them a day or two ahead.

It was behind the paywall FIRST…

1 Like

Teledoc is so much more than a video link for doctors to use. Think more that it is like a doc in a box. It is a way to see a health care provider without going to the doctors office. I have seen so many folks comparing Teledoc with a zoom like service. This is not a good description.

Gordon

11 Likes

In my practice Telehealth calls have dropped significantly since April and May. I was doing several a day to <1/week. We don’t use the Teladoc platform but our trends make me think the “boom” in Telehealth is likely to slow quite a bit. For now at least! I sold Livongo shortly after the merger announcement as it just complicated the investment thesis for me.

Not all tele-health venues use the same business model. Maybe the reason your “calls have dropped significantly since April and May” is precisely because you are not using Teladoc. There is a story about WWII aviation where they inspect bombers returning from raids and find that some parts are more often damaged that others. Someone suggests reinforcing these damaged areas. Another says to do the contrary, to reinforce that areas with less damage. Puzzled they ask him the reasoning for his strange suggestion. "The damage we see didn’t stop the bombers from accomplishing their mission and returning but we don’t see bombers returning with damage to other parts. Maybe it’s because they are the more critical and vulnerable parts of the bombers.

Follow the money. Who does Teladoc sell to? Who do the other services sell to? From what I gather, Teladoc has in common with Livongo selling to healthcare payors who, in turn, get their members to use the service. They buy because it saves them money! It would be interesting to discover which tele-health venues are loosing seam since May. tosteve, can you supply that info? Thanks.

Denny Schlesinger

35 Likes

Teladoc is definitely a different model. We use telemedicine for our own patients using a Zoom-like video service called Doxy. Works for us as long as insurance and Medicare are willing to pay. Which they are for now. My only point is that the surge in use we saw has definitely eased. Perhaps other providers are seeing things differently.

1 Like

“In my practice Telehealth calls have dropped significantly since April and May. I was doing several a day to <1/week. We don’t use the Teladoc platform but our trends make me think the “boom” in Telehealth is likely to slow quite a bit.”

Hi tosteve!

Thank you for that data point. It is helpful. However, it might also lead to the opposite conclusion.

It may be good for Teladoc that the physician establishment finds video services less preferable, especially as the general population is trending more in the tele health direction. It tells us that most physicians for one reason or another, have almost entirely stopped their video calls with patients and find little interest in that service option.

But many millions have now experienced video conferences with docs and some of them will have less resistance to Teladoc physicians and other online medical services in the future. Some might even find the online option more convenient for certain kinds of health care services.

This was thoroughly explained by etagordon in posts 71088 & 71099. and by captainccs 71091.

My aim here is to be clear that IMO, your relevant post is a very good signal for the growth rate of TDOC and LVGO revenue.

8 Likes