Bill Gates' TerraPower to start building first US SMR Nuclear power plant in June

I think you must be referring to “active” systems that remove the decay heat after a shutdown. I think all reactors (after some very early accidents in the 1950s) have control rods that automatically spring down when the power is lost, thus shutting down the chain reaction.
Decay heat can be removed via “natural circulation” (hot water rises) as built into the S5G navy reactor from the mid 1960s and later the S8G.
Yeah, we used to be way ahead in reactor design

Mike

1 Like

We all know that China is the leader in solar, wind and nuclear. Chinese have been working on this new SMR for many years. The real question about this and other SMRs for the rest of the world is economics.
How much did it cost to manufacture the components?
How much did it cost to construct the plant?
How much manufacturing was done at the factory versus in the field?
How many large piping and component modules were built in the factory?
How long did it take to manufacture the components and modules?
How long did it take to construct the plant with milestones?
Until we have these answers, we do not know that this SMR is economical? I have never believed any of the cost data from China media because China wants to keep that secret.

1 Like

I worked at the first full-scale sodium cooled reactor in Hanford (FFTF). Was there when they did the heat removal using natural circulation. It worked!

3 Likes

Yes, I was at Bechtel when FFTF was being designed by Westinghouse and built by Bechtel. FFTF was a research facility, it never generated electricity, and it was a very expensive project.

https://econtent.unm.edu/digital/pdf.js/web/viewer.html?file=/digital/api/collection/nuceng/id/66/download#page=1&zoom=100,126,-2298

2 Likes

Yep. 400 MW Thermal, no generators so no electricity. I was with Westinghouse there 1978-1982.

That is a lot of malarkey! Where is USA putting all their spent fuel. USA has temporary storage of spent fuel at existing nuclear reactors. There is no permanent spent fuel storage in USA.

1 Like

Not for lack of trying!
(Though the article actually makes no claims about the US having permanent fuel storage. )

" In 2002, Congress designated Yucca Mountain as the nation’s sole current repository site for deep geologic disposal of high-level radioactive waste and spent nuclear fuel.**

At that time, the Secretary of Energy concluded that, “The amount and quality of research the DOE has invested… done by top-flight people…is nothing short of staggering…I am convinced that the product of over 20 years, millions of hours, and four billion dollars of this research provides a sound scientific basis for concluding the site can perform safely.”

Congress then directed DOE to file a license application for the Yucca Mountain site with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) and thereby commence a formal evaluation and licensing process overseen by the NRC.’

And then politics got in on the act
So what else is new?

1 Like