BOFI & INBK online reviews

http://www.yelp.com/biz/first-internet-bank-indianapolis

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bank-of-internet-usa-san-diego-3

Some people think Yelp is useless, while I generally use it for EVERYTHING and find it very useful. Its not 100% accurate, but its the most accurate rating tool I can find for when I am exploring a new area.

The Reviews for BOFI & INBK are concerning, and the trend is that their customer service is awful. Being online only, I would expect them to have impeccable customer service to make up for lack of brick & mortar stores. Anyone have any first hand experience with them and care to share?

9 Likes

Do any banks ever have “good” customer service ratings?
A

2 Likes

In my experience places where the product is expected to be fixed or consistent don’t get the good reviews. People don’t post a review about a good experience at the bank or for example the cable company. They mostly get reviews from people with a bad experience so the reviews are skewed. They also don’t actively seek out good reviews like some restaurants or attractions.

Too many bad reviews could be a bad thing but I would be looking more at places like consumer reports with a more well rounded group of respondants.

4 Likes

Both INBK (2nd place) and BOFI (3rd place) seemed to do pretty well in this consumer satisfaction survey:

An honorable mention also goes to online direct bank, Bank of the Internet which had the third-highest overall customer satisfaction score of 4.3, behind only First Internet Bank at 4.4 and Simple at 4.6.

From http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/04/11/the-battle-…

• Matt
8 Likes

This is a topic that has been discussed quite a bit on the BOFI subscriber forums. I have posted several times regarding my personal experience.

I have been using their bank for my primary bank for 5 years now and have had the best experience I have ever received from a bank. Usually I find going to a bank branch quite a trying experience. The last time I had been to a bank was 3 years ago (another person needed to stop) and I found it irritating for various reasons. I have called into BOFI customer service for various reasons over those 5 years and have yet to truly have a bad experience. I never have a good experience when calling into comcast in comparison. Every time I call in the wait time is short and the customer service rep is very friendly and more then happy to help.

I can’t speak to INBK experience because I have never tried it though tempting as “investment research.” Would someone be willing to volunteer and tell us about the experience?

9 Likes

Comcast… I’m not sure how you could possibly set the bar any lower.

(Overall useful post, thanks.)

1 Like

Sprint.

Andy
Who likes a challenge

1 Like

I totally agree. You can’t get much worse. I just picked it because the negative association I have with comcast is ingrained so deeply and it is a company many can relate to as well.

Overall I think BOFI has one of the better customer service centers I have used. Though we will see if it stays that way as they get bigger. The last time I called in a month or so ago I did notice they changed their menu which was slightly less convenient more resembling a big company. Though once I got through to a person it was the same great service.

2 Likes