Bond Default Rates

With the CPI printing today at a 40-year high, the Fed will have to follow through next week on their threat to raise interest-rates, which means more stress on an already weakened economy, which means more bond defaults. (Yeah, I’m simplifying. But I prefer to think defensively, on the theory that "Better a missed opportunity than a realized loss.) Historically, this is reported to be the rates at which bonds default.

**Moody’s		S&P**
**Rating	       Muni	Corp	Muni	Corp**
**Aaa/AAA	         0	0.52	0	0.6**
**Aa/AA	         0.06	0.52	0	1.5**
**A/A	         0.03	1.29	0.23	2.91**
**Baa/BBB	         0.13	4.64	0.32	10.29**
**Ba/BB	         2.65	19.12	1.74	29.93**
**B/B	        11.86	43.34	8.48	53.72**
**Caa-C/CCC-C	16.58	69.18	44.81	69.19**

What’s surprising is how well spec-grade munis hold up. But take a look at the default rates for corporates --which I’d extrapolate to preferreds as well-- and average what SP & Moody’s report and then round up to the nearest whole number.

**Aaa/AAA,        1%**
**Aa/AA,          1%**
**A/A,            2%**
**Baa/BBB,        8%**
**Ba/BB,         25%**
**B/B,           49%**
**Caa-C/CCC-C,   69%**

Some obvious points.

(1) Both agencies report little difference in defaults whether the bond is rated ‘top tier’ or one trache lower, and for my own purposes --when buying bonds or running analytics on my portfolio-- I lump the two tranches together and call them ‘Defensive’ (in Ben Graham’s sense of that term.)

(2) Frankly, I think the low default-rate reported for single-A’s is misleading. What more likely to be happening is that a significant number of single-A’s get downgraded to triple-BBBs (or lower) and then they crashed. Hence, I don’t consider single-As to be a “Buy 'em and Forget 'em” tranche. More likely, they are what Ben Graham would consider to be “Enterprising”.

(3) Both agencies report little difference in defaults for anything they rate as ‘bottom tier’. Clearly, that tranche isn’t merely ‘speculative’. It’s TRASH, and it should be avoided by the “average” investor, with this exception. Just as buying far out of the money options can pay off hugely if bought cheaply enough, in a large enough sample to capture the statistical advantage offered by that game, buying bottom tier stocks/bonds/whatever can pay off if the price is low enough and the payouts are high to cover the losses that have to be suffered. (This is a post for another time.)

(4) Most investors feel comfortable buying triple-BBB debt, because they are lulled into a false sense of security by the fact that tranche is still considered ‘investment-grade’. I think this is a risky, unwarranted assumption, for two reasons. An 8% default rate means you’re likely to lose one out of twelve positions. Not just suffer an adverse price movement, but lose the whole thing. This isn’t to say that the risks of that tranche can’t be managed. But, clearly, anything that falls into that tranche isn’t a ‘Defensive’ investment. At best, it is ‘Enterprising’ (in Ben Graham’s sense of that term) --if not border line “Speculative” – and requires active monitoring and management. Second, and more importantly, if an issuer’s debt is downgraded from ‘investment grade’ to ‘spec-grade’, many institutionals will be forced to sell those bonds. Hence, both the issuers and the large owners have every reason to avoid that event, and they will fudge their financials and bribe the agencies to prevent such a downgrade from happening. (Can’t happen? Won’t happen? Watch The Big Short again.) Your takeaway should be this. The fact that Moody’s/S&P/Fitches rates a bond or preferred as such as such is merely their opinion, which might not be timely and might not be unbiased, no matter how well informed and informative nearly every rating is. (Read a couple hundred of them, and you’ll quickly appreciate the tool and help they can be.)

So here’s a follow-up on that supposed 8% default rate (which is probably actually closer to 13%). If you buy a dozen triple-BBB bonds from properly diversified issuers, how many should you expect to blow up on you? Roughly, one in twelve, right? But, No. What you actually own is only a small sample of the data set from which the default-rate was derived, and your personally-experienced default-rate might be quite different. In fact, there is no reason that every one of your twelve bonds --or pfds-- couldn’t default. Not likely. But not impossible, as it is easy to see with a coin-flipping example.

If you have a $1 and I have $10, we could flip for pennies all day, and neither of us would walk away a significant winner. But if I talk you into flipping for quarters, there’s a very real possibility (1/16) that I’ll bust you in four flips. It’s been too many years since I’ve had a stats/probability class. But the math roughly goes like this. In the “good, old days”, BKs weren’t a thing to fear. By and large, there was some sort of workout offered to creditors that minimized the damage of suffering a default. (In fact, a couple of times, I was able to come out money ahead.) But those days are past. Now, when an issuer defaults, you likely to receive nothing. If you got into the bond at 60 or 70, your losses won’t be as great as getting in near par or at a premium to par, which is why entry price matters and why position size matters and why sample size matters. If you’re carrying hundreds of positions, and if those positions aren’t the whole of your portfolio, then your due diligence can be pretty sloppy and you’ll likely survive. But if the whole of your portfolio is just a limited number of positions, and if you’ve chosen them on the basis of agency ratings --without confirming those ratings with your own due diligence–, you shouldn’t be surprised if some of them blow up on you, especially in our current market and economy.

(to be con’t)

Arindam

https://monevator.com/bond-default-rating-probability/ranche…

8 Likes

The point of that previous post was to advance the obvious idea that not all investment choices have equal risks and that it makes sense accept no more risk than one has to.

Let’s start with an easy question. “What’s an asset class?” Obvious answer: “A group of tradables that behaves similarly”. Examples are stocks, bonds, currencies, commodities, cash, real estate, collectables, and --of course-- politicians (who are traded “under the counter” rather than over it). Conventionally, stocks are favored over bonds by most investors, because --on average and over the long haul-- they offer more absolute return. But the reason they offer a higher return is because they are “riskier” than bonds, just as within bonds as an asset class, some bonds are riskier than others. So let’s borrow from Ben Graham and posit that there are three tranches of risk into which the members of the various conventionally defined asset classes can be sorted. The three risk tranches are ‘Defensive’, ‘Enterprising’, and ‘Speculative’ (whose meanings don’t need careful definition and will vary from one investor to the next due to factors such as experience).

Explanation: If you’ve never ridden a bicycle before, hopping on one can be risky. Also, no matter how experienced one is, cycling can’t said to be ‘risk-free’. But the risks can be anticipated and managed better by them who are experienced than by them who aren’t. Same-same with this investing/trading stuff. If a bond is rated by the agencies as ‘spec-grade’ --meaning, colloquially, that it’s a “junk bond”-- most investors would run away as fast as they could, but then turn right around and buy junk stock. In fact, most of the stocks recommended by our dear forum host in newsletters such as Stock Adviser are ‘junk stocks’. Typically, their balance sheets look good, because they recently raised a bunch of cash by coming to market. But when you look at their overall situation, it’s easy to see they aren’t currently profitable, nor are they forecast to become profitable in the next three years. In other words, the stocks that TMF typically touts aren’t “defensive” investments in any meaningful sense of that term, nor are they “enterprising” investments. They purely “speculative” bets that that might or might not work out as hoped.

Should such speculative bets be avoided? This is where things get personal. If one’s goal is build as much wealth, as fast as possible, then one’s portfolio has to be mostly speculative. If one’s goal is to preserve wealth already acquired, then one’s portfolio has to be mostly defensive, though there is this exception --advocated by Peter Lynch, who hated bonds. “The best defense is a good offense.” He ran an all-stocks portfolio and did very, very, very well by it.

So what I propose is this. A good portfolio can be built from these five risk classes:

**Cash & Equivalents         (C)**
**Defensive Investments      (D)**
**Enterprising Investments   (E)**
**Speculative Investments    (S)**
**Lottery Tickets            (X)** 
**(i.e., bets with a tiny entry price and an tiny chance of paying off, but a huge payoff when it does)**

Right now, I’m structured this way:

**Cash             15%   (will be spent down to 5% when it makes sense to do so)**
**Treasuries	 11%   (will be increased to 25% as long as rates continue to rise)**
**CDs	         15%   (will be phased out)**
**MM funds	 0%**
**Bonds	         52%   (will be held around this level)**
**Preferreds	 4%    (will be increased to 10% pretty much regardless of what happens with prices)**
**Bond Funds	 0%** 
**Stocks	         1%    (might be increased to 5% to 10% after a bottom is put in)**
**Divvie ETFs      2%    (might be increased to 5% as prices warrant)**
**Mutuals	         0%**
**Lottery Tickets  0%    (I'm always on the lookout for an obvious opportunity, but only have a tiny one currently.)**
**100%** 

My bond holdings (roughly 250 issues) are structured this way: 1/3 Defensive; 1/2 Enterprising; 1/6 Speculative.

Said another way, currently I’m structured this way (plus or minus 1% due to rounding):

**Cash & Equivalents         40%**
**Defensive Investments      20%**
**Enterprising Investments   30%**
**Speculative Investments    10%**
**Lottery Tickets             0%** 

In short, I’m a timid, risk-adverse investor who’s mostly treading water until US markets crash --as I’m sure they will-- and then I go shopping again, just as I did in '09 and '10.

Arindam

1 Like

Your link seemed not to work for me. Said it could not be found on the site.

Is it just me?

jhawk,

Sorry about the link not working.

Instead, enter this phrase into a search engine, “Moody’s five-year default rates.” A lot of the returned answers won’t be the study that I didn’t find either. But somewhere out there is the earlier study by Moody’s I was trying to find that dug into the rates at which the various tranches can be expected to default and the likely BK workouts by industry.

Also, if I’m remembering right, Barnhill’s book on high yields has chapters covering the topic, as does Fabozzi in his books on fixed-income topics. Such books won’t be on the shelves of your local library. But they can borrow them for you through Inter Library Loan. Also, if you live near a university library and can get access to the stacks, the professional finance journals are fun to explore. Most of the articles are so (unnecessarily) mathematized as to be impenetrable. But the topics they explore open new ways to think about how to invest and manage money.

Arindam

https://www.amazon.com/High-Yield-Bonds-Structure-Strategies…

1 Like

What’s surprising is how well spec-grade munis hold up. But take a look at the default rates for corporates --which I’d extrapolate to preferreds as well-- and average what SP & Moody’s report and then round up to the nearest whole number.

**Aaa/AAA,        1%**
**Aa/AA,          1%**
**A/A,            2%**
**Baa/BBB,        8%**
**Ba/BB,         25%**
**B/B,           49%**
**Caa-C/CCC-C,   69%**

Some obvious points.

(2) Frankly, I think the low default-rate reported for single-A’s is misleading. What more likely to be happening is that a significant number of single-A’s get downgraded to triple-BBBs (or lower) and then they crashed. Hence, I don’t consider single-As to be a “Buy 'em and Forget 'em” tranche. More likely, they are what Ben Graham would consider to be “Enterprising”.

After some thought, I recently bought the following:

|||Price|Quantity|Yield|
|CREDIT SUISSE AG LONDON BRANCH MTN|4.00000% 05/18/2026|88.051|5|7.841|

Moody’s rates this issue as A2, negative, not on watch. Note this issue is barely 5 months old.

I must admit, the bond market is getting interesting again.

1 Like

What makes muni’s sensitive to recession? Those that are based on tax revenue would seem reasonably secure. Schools, sewers, airports should be reasonably safe.

Of course you worry about revenue bonds and those of places like Jackson, MS or Flint, MI that must be iffy even in good times.