BRK vs SPX

You should know that your logic is non-existent.
The points you make don’t hold up.
The Trump “brand” was a very good example of how worthless a so-called brand can be to actually making money. The buildings have removed his name. His companies have gone bankrupt. As for his licensing, even his children’s brand names (Ivanka) has become poison. That they are politicians doesn’t make my point less pertinent.

You assert generalities, “Those who have strong Brand, when they buy companies, they re-brand it.” Like who? And so what? Berkshire makes money without having to re-brand. Is there some financial benefit to rebranding you have evidence of?

What is a “jealous” shareholder and what virtues are they inventing???
Give us some examples, Kingy.

Whether stockholders show up for the annual meeting after Buffett is gone has nothing to do with whether they hold the stock. The fact that they show up at all, in such numbers, is testament to their pride and your snide social media posts mean nothing except that you are blind.

I know well what I am talking about. You just don’t know what you don’t know.
You stand on hallowed ground, Kingy.

Just sayin’

9 Likes

The Trump “brand” was a very good example of how worthless a so-called brand can be to actually making money.

Brand’s like all natural things die or lose value. That doesn’t mean it is worthless. You are a prime example of “jealous” shareholders getting twisted about facts.

Berkshire doesn’t have brand, that doesn’t mean there is no such thing as “brand”.

This thread is getting absurd beggy. Hope you enjoy Berky brand and by visiting Omaha enjoy its “culture” too.

1 Like

OK guys, try to state your expected parameters. I expect BRK to continue earnings yield and growth in line with past performance. Maybe a bit of a slowdown in earnings growth. For the S&P to out perform we will have to see one of several possibilities…. Sustained or increased valuations from a starting point of price to sales already about 40% above long term average seems unlikely. Soaring profits of a large index are unlikely. A plunge in the profits of BRK’s stodgy and reliable business is unlikely.

What is it going to be? I like the term “pixy dust” for the innovation card. It reminds me of Buffett’s “Tinkerbelle approach”—- clap if you believe won’t cut it. How much will this innovation lift the sales and profits of the entire index?

Past performance is in the past, and from here foreword I see the index to have few parameters which could match or exceed the rate of BRK’s steady value accumulation.

5 Likes

Thanks Jim!

2 Likes

Bear in mind that it’s generally best not to reply to anything Kingran says.

That’s just good advise. Merci, Mungofitch!

5 Likes

You are reasonable and patient, Jim. I thank you for that.

Like you, I tried to engage with him, only using a bit of “tough love” in the hopes that a tipping point may one day be reached for him. Human to human, I hope that for him.

Charlie says successful investing is a subset of worldly wisdom. I would also say its a subset of character. If one can face the truth about herself, then she will be able to face the truth about an investment.

Warren says there is no shame in having a small circle of competence. As long as you respect its boundaries, you’ll do fine.

Maybe for most of you, this is a given. But for me, these little truths changed my life.

Sometimes people come for the money and stay for the wisdom.

I’ll keep it on mute. I’ve done my part.

2 Likes

Wow what a hatred. If you cannot defend something, you don’t have to defend. But posting indefensible and claiming the other person is wrong, is way to go.

The simple questions like how can anyone measure “value”, it is mythical, and anyonoe can assign any “value”. Asking for a tangible measurable one is “seeking attention”?

Coke, Nike, Intel are brands, Berkshire is not a brand. Pointing a simple fact is “attention seeking” or your inability to answer such inconvenient questions and throwing shade on other person is “philosophical”???

Seriously. You just use your popularity to throw shade. You can be better than that, but it is a choice you made.

1 Like