Broken URLs in post...

I’m posting URLs to a short vid that link to my Smugmug acct. Once inserted and the post is made, TMF seems to be breaking the link. If you copy the url and paste it in a new tab, it will work. Please look into this…

Here’s a post that has a link: https://discussion.fool.com/the-video-link-in-the-previous-post-…

Actually, I posted the same link to many posts in that thread. None worked. Please check this…

ww.thanks.pl

1 Like

The printed URL is abbreviated if it ends in thee dots and if you just use copy/paste it will not work.

With a Mac you can get the full URL with “Control-Click.”

Denny Schlesinger

1 Like

As Denny said, you can not copy the string from a post after it is made and have it work. For me it is right-click, then Copy Link.

3 Likes

Yes, copy/paste to a new window/tab is the only way this works. If you “click” the link, it provides an error… but the link I put into the post was a legit MP4 link. I didn’t add any additional characters. It’s a valid file on the web.

ww.frustrating.pl

1 Like

If you are highlighting and click copy on a link, you won’t get to the links location. You need to be sure to click "copy link location" for it to work, as RHinCT suggested.

If it’s any help, the links work fine for me. Checked with Safari on my iPhone and Firefox on Windows.

—Peter

ww.people.pt/read.more.carefully/copying.aint.the.problem

Yes, the video link works… but did you click on it, within the post?
…or did you copy the link and paste it in a new tab or window?

If you click on the video link, in the post, does it give you an error msg? Please let me know.
…the middle link, in this post: https://discussion.fool.com/monday-01172022-10am-the-pl-home-mlk…

1 Like

I clicked on the middle link in the post and it worked for me, without having to copy and paste. Edge browser version 97.0.1072.62 on Windows 10 PC.

AJ

1 Like

With Safari the link is kind of strange, when I click on it it wants to download a file, when I command-click it will play the clip.

Denny Schlesinger

1 Like

Thanks for the reports aj485 and captainccs…

1 Like

OK, an update to this thread…

Seems it’s the host and nothing here that’s causing this. I also experienced this at another forum and have followed up with Smugmug on this. So far, they are aware but no fix is predicted.

Thanks again to all who have assisted with the reports.

ww.cheers.pl

1 Like

did you click on it, within the post?

Yes.

Your link in the original post works as intended. For me, anyway. And on two different platforms.

—Peter

1 Like

I’m on Android. Galaxy S10.

The video link gives “error, can’t open” or some such.
Press, hold, then choose “copy link address”, paste to url field… gets me to the video, which then plays as normal.

The the other two links worked directly from your post.

:+1:
ralph

1 Like

Poodlelover

The concept of friendly banter seems to have been lost among TMF rules and
regulations - so a post from me to you was deleted as “inappropriate”.

If it actually was inappropriate - I do heartily apologize - but I think the
entire situation failed to take into account our history of my reading links as
literal links.

Howie52
All rather confusing really.

1 Like