Buffett's Advice: Do what you love

… if only most could afford that.

Warren Buffett’s advice for college students: Chase the job you’d want if ‘you had no need for money’
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/01/warren-buffett-career-advice…

I found my passion when the oil & gas industry cratered in 1985-1986 with the price of oil dropping to $8/bbl. Everyone in Houston got laid-off and I found the joys of sleeping until 10AM and mid-week golf with no one in front of you slowing play. High unemployment forced the traditionally skinflint Texas legislature to expand benefits to 6 months duration. I decided to “go for the gusto” and grabbed every week of that. When the benefits expired, I decamped to an engineering job in California.

https://youtu.be/EguU5SEMKBQ

Eight years later at age 38, I realized that I’d accumulated enough capital to fund my living expenses indefinitely under the “4% rule”. Spending a few hours per year managing a stock portfolio seemed a better use of my time than 40 hours/week stuck in an office. As they say, “The rest is history.”

intercst

7 Likes

… if only most could afford that.
Warren Buffett’s advice for college students: Chase the job you’d want if ‘you had no need for money’

I have a nephew we helped through college, and this was my advice to him. Instead he wanted to “make money” so he took a job selling Google leads to lawyers. (When you click on one of those Google links for a plumber and end up with … not a plumber but a referring middleman. Or electrician. Or in his case, lawyer.) He hated it, spent four years hating it and made some decent money. Finally quit and took a different job for more money. Hated it. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I could never convince him that doing something you hate is “work” and doing something you love is fun. I fell in love early, I took a job which cost me more to get to than I got paid for the few hours I got on the weekend. Two hour drive, and I ate at McDonald’s and crashed at a guy’s house on Saturdays before driving back to Boston after my 3 hour Sunday shift but I got “experience” in a field where it’s hard to get started.

Do what you love, then it’s not work. Live a little, even a lot lower, but enjoy your life. I understand exactly what Warren is saying, and there’s no about it.

15 Likes

I am an artist. There have been plenty of lean years.

I would never trade a day of it.

Now the upside is coming my way. But I see many other older artists are acting like sticks in the mud.

Do what you love, then it’s not work. Live a little, even a lot lower, but enjoy your life. I understand exactly what Warren is saying, and there’s no about it.

Absolutely Goofy. Of course it’s a lot easier if you come from money. The rest of us have to earn a living before pursuing our dreams.

I wonder how much of that $1.6 Trillion in US student loan debt was incurred “pursuing an unrealistic and uneconomic dream”?

intercst

2 Likes

DW’s niece reasoned thusly: If you love something, you’ll be good at it. If you’re good at it, people will hire you to do it.

DW’s niece focus in college: religious dance (this is NOT a joke)

DW’s niece: Built like Ethel Merman, but has an amazing voice and has zero inhibitions about being the center of attention for suddenly dancing or breaking out into song. She is also the most lovable person you could ever meet. Commonly said: “If you don’t love , the problem is with you and NOT her.”

Her first job out of college was asst property manager for apartment complex, followed by a couple of other jobs, eventually working in a internal support call center for her state. She did so well that they eventually made her a trainer; she’s now got a solid career and bought herself a nice home. She’s parlayed her dancing & singing into a fitness regime which she has turned into a side gig earning her even more money. Did she succeed by Buffet’s standards? You judge.

Mike Rowe has a different take. Following your passion and doing what you love is probably in the same category. His advice is find an opportunity and bring your passion with you.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mike-rowe-gives-grad-advice_n…

Fortunately for me, my passion/doing what I love coincided with earning a good living.

JLC

1 Like