Cambrex (CBN) - An Evaluation.

Who is Cambrex?
Cambrex was founded in 1981 and is headquartered in NJ. It provides products and services for the development and commercialization of new and generic meds worldwide. Its products are active pharmaceutical ingredients and intermediates that are used in the production of prescription and over-the-counter medications. It serves generic drug companies, and companies that discover and commercialize small molecule meds.

Cambrex assists big drugmakers and biotech companies, providing processes and active pharmaceutical ingredients to help them start to manufacture commercial quantities of drugs. It has several hundred customers, but biotech giant Gilead is its biggest customer. Gilead accounted for 24% of revenue in 2014.

How did you learn about them?
I learned about it when PuddinHead brought it to the board a month or so ago. Thanks, PuddinHead. Some of what I’ll write here is straight from PuddinHead.

Let’s look at criteria? Are they growing Revenue?
For a quick look at Revenue:

2012:  278
2013:  317
2014:  374

Thus 2013 revenue was up 14% and 2014 revenue was up 18%. They predict revenue for 2015 will be up 16% to 20%.

How about earnings?

2013:    99
2014:  133

So they were up 33% last year. Their trailing earnings are now $1.96 as I calculate them, and they are up 91% for the first nine months. I don’t think that pace will be maintained, but comparisons will obviously be good.

Is there a reasonable PE?
It’s currently 25

Tell me more what they actually do?
CBM makes small molecule meds, which are the standard drugs constructed through chemical processes and still comprise the majority of all drugs (as opposed to biologics like Humira for rheumatoid arthritis). Since each of these small molecule meds is composed of smaller components, there is a market for someone to mass produce those components as CBM appears to do.
Cambrex categorizes its products and services into three categories - Innovator, Generics and Controlled Substances.

The Innovator category is CBM’s biggest and fastest-growing area. They bid on already approved and sometimes already commercialized products. These products are owned by Innovator pharmas interested in having a second source of supply. Custom manufacturing is also part of the Innovator category. At present, CBM custom manufactures 30-35 products under medium-to-long-term supply contracts. Overall, CBM anticipates 31%-34% growth in sales of Innovator products this fiscal year, up from earlier guidance of 27%-30%.

In the Generic category, CBM has 18 generic products in development. The Company minimizes its competition in this space by targeting more complex products that utilize its biocatalysis technology platform and/or special technologies and capabilities. CBM expects mid to high single-digit sales growth for this business in this fiscal year.

Controlled Substances is a highly regulated niche market with entry controlled by the DEA. CBM is currently sampling two new opiate products and developing the third controlled substance for an ADHD product. The Company shipped samples of the ADHD product during the quarter and expects commercial volume to begin in 2018. By adding opiate products to its offerings, CBM is able to address more market opportunities. Controlled substances sales were $17 million, up 60% from to $11 million and management increased its guidance for this business to low double-digit sales growth this year versus earlier guidance of high single-digit growth.

Can they meet demand?
To meet growing demand, CBM is expanding capacity and capabilities at its various plants. The majority of capital expenditures are supporting a large-scale expansion of its Iowa facility, the second expansion of this facility in three years. The build-out remains on schedule and the additional capacity is scheduled to come on-line in the March quarter. Importantly, this expansion includes a large shell that provides enough space for a subsequent future build-out of equal size.

Do they have a moat?
It would be very hard for anyone to start a competing business in his or her garage. This isn’t a software business. However there are competing companies, and some are lots bigger. Their moat, as I see it, is their skilled set and their long-term contracts. By the way, they recently renewed a 5-year supply contract with Gilead.

Do they have recurring income?
In so far as they have long-term supply contracts they don’t have to go out and resell each day’s sales, but it’s not a real razor-razorblade model.

What is your overall impression?
It seems to be an interesting investing prospect. I like that it gets you into a biotech-type or pharma type investment but in a company that is already successful and making money regularly. I consider the current 90% growth in earnings to be a fluke, but I can imagine 25% to 35% regularly for a while, easily. It would provide a counterbalance to some of my riskier stocks.

Saul

15 Likes

You probably mean CBM

You probably mean CBM

Sorry, I certainly did.

CBM just hit an all-time high, and there’s been some (possibly EOY-induced) insider selling. I figure the latter is somewhat normal given the time of year AND the peak in share price, but it’s worth considering that the insiders (Directors and above) wouldn’t want to hold for more/higher. For me, I’d label this a “20% data point.”

CBM has also bounced back down off that all-time high, giving us a possibly-better entry point as it drops back down a little. This is a “50% data point”, IMO.

I don’t trade purely on technical analysis, but it’s worth pointing out that the support line is probably in the $45-ish range, so as long as it doesn’t drop below that, good things are probably in store. This might represent the other 30% of the data points factoring into an analysis.

I have no position in CBM; currently evaluating, and it’s in the “maybe” column, but it would have to complement my existing holdings in GILD, AMGN, REGN and the like (which I just calculated to be 9.8% of my overall portfolio, not including any mutual funds in stuff like 401(k)s) for me to add another biopharma position.

1 Like

I found the size of recent director sales disconcerting enough not to retain my small position.

1 Like

Earnings calculation check. I found a different 2013 Non-GAAP earnings total from two different sources.
CBM
2013: 99 or is it really 83?
2014: 133

This would make the increase 60% vs. the 33% stated in the evaluation posting.

So I understand that I’m looking in the right places for non-GAAP earnings, can someone confirm?

I know this is old history, but does anyone know why Cambrex stock price fell by 95% from its high into 2009? It doesn’t seem like the kind of business that would be that cyclical. Did they make missteps? Were they overleveraged?

It has several hundred customers, but biotech giant Gilead is its biggest customer. Gilead accounted for 24% of revenue in 2014.

This seems like a big risk. Maybe. Where is this 24% coming from? Is it from the HepC drugs? If yes, then a very large chuck of Camber’s sales will fair as Gilead’s HepC drugs will. Will Solvaldi and Harvoni continue to post huge sales increases? I would worry about Gilead eliminating a customer each time then get a customer…this is an inherent problem with a cure versus a treatment.

Chris

It has several hundred customers, but biotech giant Gilead is its biggest customer. Gilead accounted for 24% of revenue in 2014. This seems like a big risk. Maybe.

Hi Chris, I assume CBM management follows this. Here’s what they said in the conference call about their large facility expansion in Iowa:

Conf Call Notes: It is important to note that this expansion in Iowa includes a large shell that provides enough space future buildout of equal size. This shell will allow us to add another $40 million to $60 million of revenue capacity in a much shorter time than new construction. These investments are designed to ensure that we have large scale capacity in place to serve the positive market trends we are experiencing.

They certainly don’t seem overly worried. I suspect Gilead is using them for new drugs they are trying to develop to eventually take the place of their Hep drugs (just a guess).

Saul

I suspect Gilead is using them for new drugs they are trying to develop to eventually take the place of their Hep drugs (just a guess).

Well, if you are invested or considering investing then it would be very important to know where the Gilead revenue is coming from. If it’s not coming from HepC drugs then it’s still important for if it is coming from drugs in development then those drugs might not get approved. If it’s coming from HepC drugs then the risk is obviously that the HepC drug revenue is sustainable.

Chris

3 Likes

Chris, Say Gilead is 24% of their sales. A lot of people on this board and in Fooldom think GILD is a great investment. It gets Best Buys all the time (I don’t agree with this by the way). But CMB is growing sales at 19% backing out currency changes. GILD isn’t most of their business, it’s 24%. If GILD, contrary to CBM’s expectation stopped growing and was flat, and everyone else kept growing, CBM would still grow sales at a respectable rate and GILD would become a smaller part of their business. It wouldn’t be the end of the world. I think the key is that CBM thinks that GILD has plenty of cash and is going to keep increasing their purchases irrespective of their Hep drug sales. CBM keeps raising their estimates.

Here’s an article form Singular Research, which is considered a reliable source as far as I know.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3678216-cambrex-increasing-e…

Saul

3 Likes

Well, if you are invested or considering investing then it would be very important to know where the Gilead revenue is coming from. If it’s not coming from HepC drugs then it’s still important for if it is coming from drugs in development then those drugs might not get approved. If it’s coming from HepC drugs then the risk is obviously that the HepC drug revenue is sustainable.

Ah, but if they are making money off drug in development, then each of those requires tiny amounts of source material since they are not being massed produced. Also, there would have to be a lot of drugs being supported to add up to a meaningful amount. This would be great news as a few would probably be successful and move to mass production. Also, CBM might be providing services as well as supplies for drugs in development.

Gilead also has drugs aside from HepC. I am not worried.

1 Like