Candela's Latest Electric Boat: C-8 Hydrofoi

This technology is going to be huge in the Florida Keys. The streets downtown are filled with electric scooters, skateboards, and bicycles. Put this boat in the hands of a well known fisherman/influencer down here - and you’ll be set for years to come, Candela.:

https://electrek.co/2022/05/20/swedish-electric-boat-maker-c…

The C-8 flies with a top speed of 30 knots, yet pulls only 20 kW of power when flying at 2/3 of its maximum speed. It can cruise along for 2.5 hours on just €8 of electricity, which Candela says is 90% lower than a similar-sized ICE powerboat.

But the benefits aren’t purely energy-based. The ride experience is also much nicer for everyone onboard, from the pilot to the passengers. Unlike V-hull boats that crash up and down on each wave, the C-8 remains smooth and steady even when crossing over waves and boat wakes.

As Candela’s founder and CEO Gustav Hasselskog explained:

Flying in absolute silence, without any slamming and basically for free – it’s just an amazing experience. Once you’ve tried Candela C-8, it will be hard to go back to traditional powerboats.

The ride is much quieter as a result, though part of the quiet ride also comes from Candela’s revolutionary C-Pod electric motors that move the entire drivetrain beneath the water line. A pair of counterrotating electric motors propel the boat from the bottom of the hydrofoil, taking advantage of the water immersion to run cooler and more efficiently. The design is also nearly maintenance free, requiring a maintenance interval of around once a decade for most recreational boaters. To put that into perspective, most gas-powered outboard engines require maintenance or inspections every 100 hours of operation.

Geez-o-Pete. Could I write a killer ad piece for boat magazines on just this one benefit:

https://electrek.co/2022/05/20/swedish-electric-boat-maker-c…

The C-8 flies with a top speed of 30 knots, yet pulls only 20 kW of power when flying at 2/3 of its maximum speed. It can cruise along for 2.5 hours on just €8 of electricity, which Candela says is 90% lower than a similar-sized ICE powerboat.

My note: marine gas costs about $1.00 more than plus gas with Ethanol in the Keys. I use the stuff for my chainsaws and lawnmowers (I’m slowly moving into electric with my tools and loving it) and two Monday’s ago when I went shopping I bought about 9.5 gallons of the stuff (marine gas) for $55.00.