Carvana (CVNA)

Anecdotal:
I purchased a used car through Carvana in 2013 and I can honestly say that I will never buy a used car anywhere else (definitely not from CarMax – which, BTW, is located close to me). Loved the experience and prices way more competitive than CarMax (which, I have read, have the highest margins on their used cars than any other used car dealer). For this reason alone, CarMax might look better than Carvana for an investor. However, when I want to CarMax to look for a used car (mid-week, mid-day), almost the whole sales staff (a lot of them) had nothing to do and their barely any customers in the building. I couldn’t help but think how inefficient this all was and how much extra the cars would have to cost. However, I also went during on a weekend and the place was very busy, and I had to 15 minutes before my number was called.

TJ

8 Likes

Over the past few days, I’ve spent a fair bit of time on CVNA and come to the conclusion that my previous negativity was misplaced - in other words, I was wrong.

Yes, Daddy Garcia was involved in a loan scandal almost three decades ago and put on probation for 3 years. And yes, he still owns a good chunk of CVNA.

But, the bottom line is that his son is the CEO/Chairman of CVNA and he appears to be an ambitious, honest and qualified individual. The rest of the individuals on the management team are no slouches either and most of them are either Stanford or Harvard graduates.

The Board of Directors is also pretty impressive for a company of this size and includes Michael Maroone (former COO and President of AutoNation) and Dan Quayle (44th Vice President of the US)!

Details can be found here -

https://investors.carvana.com/corporate-governance/managemen…

Given the above, I’ve changed my view about CVNA’s management and after some more due diligence, may in fact initiate a position in this hyper-growth, disruptive business.

Best,

GM

15 Likes

I couldn’t resist saying this, anecdotal evidence and all that:

I never bought Carvana stock, but I at least considered it. But I did just try to use Carvana.

Listen:

I am Carvana’s ideal customer. I’ve never bought a car in my life, I have no intention nor desire to ever go into a car dealership (the stereotypes intimidate me), but have enough money (thanks it part to this board) to get a…used…car.

I looked up Teslas on Carvana. (What bliss, I thought. Delivered to my door. Push a button. Pre-insected. What could go wrong?!)

The site listed the Tesla’s MPG, (97?!) but not it’s range (?!).

Well, these things happen, I thought, so asked the Carvana robot for the car’s range (Alfred, I think it was called, or perhaps Earnest - “The truth is rarely pure, and never simple”.) Earnest’s answers were about as pleasant - and useful - as the bank’s call options when you call the bank, are in a hurry, and don’t want your &%*&$ balance but have an actual question.

If Carvana is so incompetent that they can’t even list a e-car’s range (but do list its MPG?!), and Earnest can’t answer, and there is no human being to answer, how in the universe can I rely on Carvana’s inspections? Their delivery? Anything? No one in the entire 10 billion dollar company knew that electric cars don’t run on gas? (Or caught this error. Or was pro-active enough to fix it? What’s the CEO doing with his time? Doesn’t he, like, look at his own website? Or someone…?)

Think about that.

They have lost, perhaps, a life-long customer. I will never, as long as I live trust a company to reliably check something so fraught with peril, and hidden from view, as the reliability of a used car - if this same 10 billion dollar company is too incompetent to fix something so self-evident, and public facing, as understanding that…electric cars don’t use gas.

(And, then I thought - wait, Tesla sells their own used cars, so…)

What will happen, in fact, in the real world, is what is already happening in such cities as Paris [see disclaimer at bottom], where companies such as BMW (as I recall) have a kind of u-drive-it service, with a phone app, to rent cars, as-needed - by the hour, or whatever.

This is the future.

The future is NOT Carvana’s twirling glass towers filled with cars…like Webvan 2.0.

Twirling towers - or an app to instantly get a car that is guaranteed to work for as long as use it - which sounds like the recurring-revenue future to you?

Not only will I not buy Carvana stock, nor buy a car for them, I can’t imagine trusting them for the rest of my life. I’m sure it was a tiny difference between Amazon, and whatever was just a little-less-good at the start of their rise. Weren’t there search engines before Google? No one’s going to use a second-rate company, especially when the future is, as most people here seem to think…the recurring revenue / perpetual lease economy…which already exists for cars such as BMW in a few big cities, I’ve been told…

NB I was told about the BMW thing in Paris by someone who lives there, just Googled and it looks like there are several options, including one by “BMW Group and Daimler AG” - not sure which one he was talking about… but Carvana smells like the wrong business at the wrong time…

But, hey, what do I know…except that I’m probably not unique…and am their IDEAL potential customer…(or was.)

7 Likes