China and its gold

@Egentis meet the METaRs and wherever Hawkwin is now.

Don’t say I did not warn you. I was direct.

He did not pay his bills in gold…

3 Likes

Paying your bills in non-money - best way to pay them :slight_smile:

So $2-million cash or 2 lbs of gold would mean a cash payment (because it is NOT MONEY)…

But you only take USD or Pounds for your gold?

In other words, you use non-money to buy gold. Do you want more non-money when you sell the gold? Or do you die with nothing?

With gold, you can not go on vacation never mind retire. You need non-money.

1 Like

All I know is that I don’t know anyone who lost it all by having some gold and silver, but that there are plenty who did holding onto currency (non-money):

BTW, I can take a vacation anytime I want to, business class all the way :slight_smile:

1 Like

All very true.

Your business class down in non-money?

That is a bit of a strawman don’t you think? Gold is often held in lue of equity and maybe bonds, not currency - especially for individual investors.

And who said you would lose it all? (I have some greylings so maybe I can’t see it). I do know that gold had about a 40 year stretch where to govt froze the price - that would seem to be a massive risk (even if at low odds of happening again) when compared to equities. If things get really bad with gold, the govt is not coming to bail you out. If things get really bad with equities or bonds, I can pretty routinely count on the govt to bail me out. We have a lot of recent history of that.

What did the Fed do when gold lost over 40% in from 2011 through 2016? Did gold get bailed out?

2 Likes

Is that a trick question?

Heck, why stop there? What happened from 1980 to 2000? The inflation adjusted price dropped 80% . Meanwhile the dollar strengthened, The stock market strengthened. If you were in metals you got crushed.

Obviously, things change. But thinking “Oh, gold. Perfectly safe! Oh, fiat money, bound to fail!” Is folly.

4 Likes

The late 90s were an aberration: an effective government that had a strong economy, low inflation, high employment, and a balanced budget. Forces have combined to prevent that happening again.

Steve

1 Like

@steve203 The German economy just past the Japanese economy. Amazing what inflation can achieve. Last I heard both were in recessions.

The US economy is larger than the Chinese economy.

Even against funny money gold often loses.