Chronic Care Management

Did you actually read and understand what these procedure codes are designed to do

I assume not…and the problem may well be that the link I chose to define CCM as an entity was aimed at practices rather than patients. Here’s an example of how it’s marketed to the consumer in order to encourage participation…

https://www.chcrr.org/chronic-care-management/

Now, it may still read a little like normal clinical management…the sort of thing that’s part of regular doctoring…until you give a bit of thought to what goes on behind the scenes to ensure that patients keep track of their medications, appointments, follow-up visits, specialty referrals etc. For but one example from the limited experience I have on the consumer side of health care, it’s been a long time since I was expected to remember a doctor’s appointment all by myself even though I made the appointment at a time chosen by me Over the years, this sort of handholding has multiplied as rapidly as the obesity epidemic and the multiple chronic conditions associated with it.

Now, here’s where it might be of impact to someone who doesn’t fall into the category that these services are aimed at: someone who, either because of good fortune, good lifestyle choices or a combination of both, have NONE of the chronic conditions that allow for a legitimate claim and whose clinical interactions with a practice amount to nothing more than annual wellness checks (such people do exist) There should be nothing to worry about, right? Well, scroll back on this board to my post on “Challenging underwriting decisions” for but one example of misuse of a good idea.

Quite apart from that, and the real reason I posted my initial question on personal experience, is that I don’t really want the constant reminders, check ins, nudges and whatnot that might very well be needed by some folk in order to maintain their health and I have a shrewd idea that this might be part of the deal should I elect to be part of the scheme