Coffee Meets Bagel uses Zoom.

First time posting to this board though I’ve been lurking for the past year or so. Not sure if anyone posted anything about this before, but I just came across it last night and figured it may be of some interest to the members of this board.

I’m on a number of dating sites and apps. One of them is Coffee Meets Bagel (CMB). I believe they were featured on Shark Tank a few years ago. Anyway, it turns out they’re using Zoom for their video chats and posted an extensive explanation in their knowledge base within the app regarding why and the privacy/security concerns. Here it is in full:

Why are we using Zoom? Is it safe?
Our users’ privacy and security are very important to us. We did a thorough research on Zoom and here is why we are using Zoom for CMB Coffee Talk:Zoom is currently being used by 200 million people globally every day. Why? It has one of the most stable connections, as well as intuitive user experience that allows anyone who is video chatting for the first time to easily participate in virtual meetups.

Doesn’t Zoom have a lot of security and privacy issues?
We thoroughly examined all of the security and privacy issues raised on Zoom. We have determined that when users access Zoom through its web browser (not the app) and the host manages the meeting properly, it does not pose security or privacy risk to the users. Below, we go through each potential risk that was raised recently and how we run CMB Coffee Talk to ensure they are not an issue.

Issue #1: Zoom installs a web server on the user’s computer without permission
This issue was fixed in July 2019 by Zoom. This was never an issue for any participants who accessed Zoom using the web browser instead of the Zoom desktop or mobile app. We encourage you to access Coffee Talk Zoom through your web browser to get around this and any other potential issues.

Issue #2: Zoom is sending data to Facebook / LinkedIn
Zoom had this issue for those who were using the Zoom iOS app and through an app plug-in called LinkedIn Sales Navigator. This was fixed on March 27th, 2020 and April 2nd, 2020 by Zoom. This was never an issue for any participants who accessed Zoom using the web browser instead of the Zoom desktop or mobile app. We encourage you to access Coffee Talk Zoom through your web browser to get around this and any other potential issues.

Issue #3: “Zoombombing” is happening frequently
Almost all Zoombombing is a result of misuse of Zoom features. Here is how CMB prevents it from happening:

1. We generate a private Zoom link for each CMB Coffee Talk, and the link is only shared with CMB users who registered for the Talk that evening.
  2. We disabled file transfer and screen sharing by participants.
  3. We lock the meeting 10 minutes after the Talk starts.
  4. We have two moderators who monitor the talk and will remove anyone who misbehaves.

Issue #4: Zoom shares my data with advertisers
Zoom updated its privacy policy on March 29th, 2020, and clarified that it does not share any user data with advertisers. This was never an issue for any participants who accessed Zoom using the web browser instead of the Zoom desktop or mobile app. We encourage you to access Coffee Talk Zoom through your web browser to get around this and any other potential issues.

Issue #5: Zoom allows host to track my “attendance”
This feature was removed permanently on April 2nd by Zoom. This was never an issue for any Zoom participants who accessed Zoom using the web browser instead of the Zoom desktop or mobile app. We encourage you to access Coffee Talk Zoom through your web browser to get around this and any other potential issues.

Issue #6: Zoom calls does not have end to end encryption
Zoom uses TLS encryption, the same standard that web browsers use to secure HTTPS websites. That means the data is encrypted between users and Zoom’s servers, similar to Gmail or Facebook content. None of the content on Zoom is decrypted as it transfers across the Zoom cloud (Zoom has no mechanism to do this).

Issue #7: Zoom calls are available in the open web
This is a possibility only for Zoom calls that are recorded and Zoom generated a web URL to be able to access the recorded call. CMB Coffee Talks are not recorded.

24 Likes

It would really be great if this could be posted on the ZM board.

https://discussion.fool.com/4056/-zoom-video-communications-zm-1…

Posted! :wink: