Cook email to Cramer

Relating to SWKS, interesting report in the NYT about a reassuring email from Tim Cook to Jim Cramer:

In the email, Mr. Cook said iPhone activations had accelerated recently, and that Apple’s App Store in China had its best performance of the year in the last two weeks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/25/technology/tim-cook-of-app…

• Khleb
8 Likes

In the email, Mr. Cook said iPhone activations had accelerated recently, and that Apple’s App Store in China had its best performance of the year in the last two weeks.

Sounds pretty dire - maybe we should just sell everything now and get out while we can?

Jason
Long sarcasm

2 Likes

Cook should have just issued a public statement to the same effect instead of sending a private email to a person since the content of the email includes company information that may impact stock price movement.

7 Likes

Cook should have just issued a public statement to the same effect instead of sending a private email to a person since the content of the email includes company information that may impact stock price movement.

Your point seems valid, but I would prefer that he not send anything out at all. What’s the point? Provide short-term assurance and commit yourself to responding to broad market news each time something “dire” is making the news?

I would prefer he ignore the market drop and let the regularly scheduled financial updates speak for themselves.

14 Likes

I wonder if this is anything to do with SEC violation. He should’ve just weathered the storm since that email did nothing to help AAPL/SWKS. Early gains now all eaten away by traders…

Your point seems valid, but I would prefer that he not send anything out at all. What’s the point? Provide short-term assurance and commit yourself to responding to broad market news each time something “dire” is making the news?
I would prefer he ignore the market drop and let the regularly scheduled financial updates speak for themselves.

Personally, I think he was, as THE tech leader in the world at the moment, trying to puncture the panic selling that was permeating the market at that moment. Yes, the email was about Apple, but then he wouldn’t have any special knowledge or expertise about anything else, would he?

It may have been a (minor) SEC violation, and I have no evidence for this other than my gut feeling that Tim Cook could probably give a crap about what Jim Cramer thinks on any random day, but this was on a day when world markets were collapsing, and Cramer (as usual) was on his world-wide international platform ranting and encouraging the stagecoach driver to run off the cliff with all passengers aboard because there was a squirrel in the road.

Cook may not have succeeded, but I am wont to believe he was playing “Captain of Industry” for the good of a sane market.

8 Likes

and encouraging the stagecoach driver to run off the cliff with all passengers aboard because there was a squirrel in the road.

I believe that was a gopher. At least it looked bigger than a squirrel.

Andy

1 Like