Copper integrated heat spreader for Alder Lake

According to the cooling kit manufacturer, the Copper Kit can deliver improved thermals for Intel’s Alder Lake CPUs, dropping temperatures by up to 15C which is very impressive. The main caveat is that you’d have to Delid the CPU using a Delid kit which is not only dangerous but also voids your CPU warranty.

The RockItCool Copper Cooling kit is available for $32.99 US but you’d also need to purchase the 12th Gen Alder Lake Delid & Relid kit if you plan on installing the new IHS on your Intel chip. The total cost would end up around $93 US which is quite a hefty sum but for enthusiasts & especially overclockers, this isn’t that big of a cost if it helps them achieve longer sustained clocks with better temperatures.

https://wccftech.com/rockitcool-intel-12th-gen-alder-lake-cp…

I see things like this and I have to ask myself “if it’s so simple why wouldn’t Intel just make this kind of thing stock, at least on the higher end/higher speed parts?” Seems like a technically non-challenging way to give themselves headroom on parts that run hot and use a lot of power.

2 Likes

I see things like this and I have to ask myself “if it’s so simple why wouldn’t Intel just make this kind of thing stock, at least on the higher end/higher speed parts?” Seems like a technically non-challenging way to give themselves headroom on parts that run hot and use a lot of power.

Actually, this has a very short answer. It wasn’t too long ago that Intel finally moved to liquid metal between chips and heat spreaders. There was a lot more to be gained by delidding those CPUs, and probably much less cost to Intel to fix the issue. Intel does use (nickel-plated) copper spreaders, but the one from RockIt is heavier. So go ask Intel. They won’t have an answer, but it may make you feel better.