Coup arrests in Germany

7 Likes

Fascists rule in Hungary. Fascists rule in Italy. Large fascist contingent in Shiny-land. Looks like a trend.

Steve

3 Likes

It seems the 25 are members of the Reichburger Movement.
A more detail look at the movement.

Only a handful of “Oath Keepers” have been convicted of seditious conspiracy. Wiki indicates total membership in the group somewhere between 5,000 and 38,000.

One member of the “Proud Boys” has plead guilty, and four more are on trial for seditious conspiracy. Estimates of membership in the group range from several hundred to 6,000.

Then there are the hundreds of thousands of heavily armed people wandering the US.

I would not assume that the German conspiracy ends at these couple dozen arrested today.

Steve

3 Likes

All I’ve got to say about this Prince is that I think he’s seriously lacking in his fashion sense…

'38Packard

He probably got rolled out of the sack at zero-dark-thirty and told to put on anything. USian FBI/ATF/Narks usually execute their raids in the middle of the night.

Steve

2 Likes

Then again, in Germany a coup attempt doesn’t enjoy support from a sizable share of the population.

2 Likes

NYT paywall not worth paying…

The Captain

Another sign of the end of globalization? The end of Pax Americana? Back to mercantilism?

The Captain

The news last night was reporting that group is thought to have about 21,000 members. Like the fascist militia groups in Shiny-land, a small part of the population. But is there hidden support from a sizeable share of the German population, as there is for the USian fascist militias, that might spring into the open given the right motivation? Is there broad support in Germany for admitting the auslanders from Ukraine, or will there be a racist backlash, like there is in Shiny-land?

Steve

2 Likes

Ah, it all makes sense now.

PP

7 Likes

Have a :+1:t4:

The Captain

Germany‘s wingnut party to the right, the only one sympathetic to the ‚Reichsbürger‘-movement, gets around 10% of votes on a national level, although there are huge regional differences visible at county elections, where results span between 4% and 28%, all the top end ones in former East Germany (and we all thought they were commies).

1 Like

Back in 1997 I was not too worried about Hugo Chavez because all the far left wing parties together never exceeded 15% of the vote. The two left of center parties usually got well around 40% of the vote each.

SURPRISE! Hugo Chavez got 70% of the vote in Venezuela’s last fair election.

The Captain
according to a friend of mine the far right party could hold their national convention in a VW

2 Likes

Let’s get real. Let’s say the Polizei rousts you about of bed and you have to throw on whatever is available. Do you even own flaming red-brown pants and a horrible green jacket with red stripes? Even if you did, in an emergency would you willingly wear that over sweats and a hoodie? Based solely on his sartorial choices this guy is a complete loon.

This guy should have been arrested simply because he was destroying innocent bystander’s eyeballs. Rough justice, I know. But I’m just saying out loud what everyone else is thinking. Cuckoo!

2 Likes

Nobody commented on the mask. Forced or voluntary?

Note: “The image could not be loaded” so a blank placeholder is all I see…

This link work?

The guy looks old enough to remember the 70s. I remember the 70s. I remember the President of the US wearing orange plaid.

Steve

A day later, however, the case looks more like the script of a Monty Python episode than a sequel to the Day of the Jackal.

The 71-year-old prince and his alleged co-conspirators, a number of them retirees, assembled a formidable arsenal that, according to police, included at least one crossbow, a slingshot, swords, as well as hunting rifles of unclear vintage and pistols.

3 Likes