Crypto Mining, Blockchain Question

Quite a bit has been written about Nvidia possibly being impacted if Crypto Mining slows. Crypto currency’s future is beyond me however I do think Blockchains future is more certain. So my question is will high powered chips / Nvidia chips be needed in Blockchains utilization other than Crypto Mining? Or will less costly / powerful chips do?

Thanks in advance for your insights,
Steve

2 Likes

So my question is will high powered chips / Nvidia chips be needed in Blockchains utilization other than Crypto Mining? Or will less costly / powerful chips do?

The way I understand it, Crypto Mining has been make purposefully calculation intensive, not so the software that uses the blockchain technology.

Denny Schlesinger

https://www.coindesk.com/2018-year-blockchain-ai-iot-converg…

AI and deep learning will likely be important for the development of everything to do with blockchain. Where Nvidia could fit in with this is the same as it would fit in with any other industry integrating AI/DL. Probably somewhere and probably not everywhere.

For the most part, Nvidia chips are seeing a steep drop-off for crypto mining as ASIC chips have displaced GPUs in terms of mining performance. Nvidia is returning to the markets it knows best. And thankfully so for high-end PC builders were struggling to acquire Nvidia graphics cards.

… now if Intel would retool its chip lines to radically solve the Meltdown/Spectre debacle, rather than looking for a fast and cheap solution …

🆁🅶🅱

1 Like

Many of the cryptocurrencies have purposely adjusted their mining algorithms to make them HARDER for GPUs to crunch, so that alone would push out the casual miner using gaming cards from Nvidia or AMD. And a few have actually adjusted so that they are EASIER for GPUs to mine. Overall, I think the GPU-miner population will have to shrink, but that wasn’t intended to be one of Nvidia’s bread-and-butter lines of business (nor was it ever part of my original decision in 2014 to own some back when it was below $20/sh), it has just been gravy on the top.