Dan Jan

Strategy

I employee a strategy based on very concentrated, fast-growing holdings, with the occasional long-term
stalwart tossed in for anchorage. (I currently don’t have any; my last stalwart was MasterCard which
servedy companies and choose the best I find, to invest in.me very well.) I aim for a holding count of 8-12,
preferring 10 + or - 1… Any holding reaching 25% gets trimmed. My overall goal is to beat the S&P 500 by a
minimum of 25%. Arguments of “Why the S&P 500?” don’t interest me in the leat. It is simply my personal
measuring stick and will remain so. I explicity avoid all economic and political news and econ pundits,
and any such info that creep in are blocked from affecting my investing choices to the extent possible.
I can’t change the economy or politics; I can only study companies and choose the best I find, to invest in.

__Ticker	First Purch	Buys	Weight	Gain 	CAGR*__
ABMD	11/29/17	1	4.40%	11.1%	64%
AYX	03/13/18	2	8.1%	22.4%	112%
MDB	03/23/18	2	13.6%	13.5%	164%
OKTA	05/30/18	1	17.0%	34.9%	87%
ROKU	12/28/18	2	6.0%	50.7%	8825%
SQ	12/06/17	3	13.4%	31.9%	75%
TTD	08/21/18	2	17.0%	27.6%	34%
TWLO	06/05/18	4	10.5%	27.3%	174%
ZS	11/02/18	1	5.8%	26.0%	138%
Cash	        	   	4.2%		

*CAGR is calculated from first purchase date

YTD Gain: 20.7%

Companies

ABMD Abiomed is my smallest gain this month and lowest CAGR of all, I have chosen to stick with it
because I believe in it long-term, and feel that the price is temporarily in a low, but rising range.
I have also locked in considerable gains before the price downturn, thus the relatively small
position size now.

ROKU I originally introduced the idea of investing in ROKU in Dec of 2018, here:
https://discussion.fool.com/combining-growth-value-roku-revisite….
It jumped up a decent amount on the following earnings call. I expect it to continue for at least
the short term. This is a temporary value play as much as a fundamental quality play and thus
I do not consider it a LTBH-type holding. So far so good. ROKU is my best gainer this month.

Cash Contrary to several others here, cash on the sideliines doesn’t bother me, even when my holdings
are “hot.” The ability to jump in on special occasions seems to pay off at least as well as being
100% invested (which I occasionally am.) I also like not having to choose a holding to sell or trim
when I smell an opportunity on the horizon.

AYX,MDB,OKTA,SQ,TTD,TWLO,ZS
Please see other’s well-covered descriptions.

Buys & Adds this month
None

Sells & Trims this month
None

Important Note
By December, my 2017 ports appeared to be Bear’s cousin (coincidence) but for some reasons my annual gains
were only 27%. Whatever you do, don’t follow anything I do.

Good luck all,

Dan

27 Likes

Dan,

It looks like your ABMD, AYX, MDB, SQ, and TWLO gains values are missing the 1 in the 100’s place based on the associated CAGR numbers and purchase dates.

volfan84
long AYX, MDB, TTD, ZS, and a bit of cash amongst those listed in your update (my SQ position was called away with a January covered call position)

It looks like your ABMD, AYX, MDB, SQ, and TWLO gains values are missing the 1 in the 100’s place based on the associated CAGR numbers …

Hi, Fan. I don’t think so; as stated, CAGR is calculated from the first purchase date although everything doesn’t match up 100% due to multiple purchases. That’s why I included the number of buys, to denote multiple positions in the same equity.

… and purchase dates.

Sorry, I don’t understand.

I did manage to mangle the first paragraph pretty well; it should read as follows:

I employee a strategy based on very concentrated, fast-growing holdings, with the occasional long-term
stalwart tossed in for anchorage. (I currently don’t have any; my last stalwart was MasterCard which
served me very well) I aim for a holding count of 8-12,preferring 10, + or - 1. …

Thanks for reading,

Dan