Data breach info

This goes along with cyber security post…website lists all data breaches…if this doesn’t cause concern for everyone, then they must be in a coma.

http://www.idtheftcenter.org/Data-Breaches/data-breaches

website lists all data breaches

You mean the website lists all known and reported data breaches. My educated guess is over half don’t get reported. And an unknowable number are not reported because they have, to date, gone undiscovered.

And then there’s the hundreds of thousands (maybe millions?) that are attempted and thwarted.

Most people haven’t the foggiest notion of how widespread this problem is. It is in the interest of business and government to keep as many of the disclosures undisclosed as possible.

Despite the realities, I remain uninvested in any particular cyber security firms. Might consider an ETF, but ETFs kinda go against the grain of my investing strategy.

Another problem with investing in cyber security firms that I didn’t go into earlier. Let’s say you study the field in depth and finally decide on one company that really has the goods. You invest maybe 7% of your portfolio in that company. Three months later another major breach gets reported, and guess what? Your favorite can’t miss company was in place at the entity that was breached. That can’t bode well for your investment.

Cyber security investments are fraught with risk irrespective of how enticing the opportunity appears to be.

4 Likes

Yeah, I get it rock…I’m not investing any more money into those cybersecurity stocks as my experience has been while they have tremendous potential, they will have a run up at some point but then get into a lull…there’s so much work to do plus they are having a hard time finding qualified employees to do it, multiply this a zillion times and it’s a crapshoot if one of the up and comer’s stays for the long term and doesn’t get absorbed by some other firm.

Nigerian princess wants your money now and will love you forever. :slight_smile:

Lucky Dog

ou mean the website lists all known and reported data breaches. My educated guess is over half don’t get reported. And an unknowable number are not reported because they have, to date, gone undiscovered.

Many get breached but the information only gets posted in the Darkweb at a much later point in time. Likely everybody that has registered accounts on multiple sites has had the information breached and posted on the Darkweb already. If you want to check, you can go to this site:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Enter your email or emails you use to create accounts and it will let you know how many times you have been compromised and what type of information was released. Once you do so, any new breaches that have your email in the list, you will receive a notification. I’ve had my data compromised in 5 different breaches. None of them contained Credit card details be they did expose my email and password used on those particular sites.

3 Likes