DDOG insider selling

First of all, my most enthusiastic THANKS to all who were in any way involved in hooking this board up with the DataHelper search engine. After a few episodes of pilot error resulting in suboptimal results, it’s doing very well and is very helpful.

Using that search engine I searched for recent discussions on DDOG insider trading and found a little but not much. So, hoping this isn’t a rehash of stuff that’s been discussed ad nauseum already.

I know DDOG is highly popular around here but it bothers me that there seems to be $300M+ (my calculation, could be off but probably not by much) in insider sales against $0.00 in insider purchases since the first of the year. I know most of the sales were preplanned, automatic, programmed, exercise of options that are part of executive compensation, etc. but still, $300M+ since the first of the year seems like a lot.

I haven’t bought in yet, expect I will by end of tomorrow, but it just seems like the level of insider selling is pretty far out of the ordinary.

Eric

1 Like

Hi Eric,

I know most of the sales were pre planned, automatic, programmed, exercise of options that are part of executive compensation,

You pretty much answered your own question there. :slight_smile: Nothing nefarious. I pay no attention to such things, as it is par for the course. It’s just the way executives and sales folks are paid in the tech world.

Best,
Matt

5 Likes

I can’t address this with respect to DDOG in particular, but in general insider sales seem to be indicative of nothing, or at least they don’t link to the company’s performance or ultimately stock price in any significant way. As always, there are exceptions, but they are just that, exceptions.

1 Like

Nothing nefarious… just the way executives
and sales folks are paid in the tech world

Good afternoon, Matt.

Understood, and if it was $50M or $100M I wouldn’t give it another thought, but $300M+ in less than 6 months’ time seems like an awful lot.

nderstood, and if it was $50M or $100M I wouldn’t give it another thought, but $300M+ in less than 6 months’ time seems like an awful lot.

Not really, if you consider that the shares have risen from $30 to $90 in that time frame as well. Also, DataDog is still a fairly new publicly traded company so you have to remember there may be many employees who finally have vested options and are exercising some of them. (wouldnt you?) Don’t overthink it Bruh.

Best,
Matt

6 Likes

“DataDog is still a fairly new publicly traded company so you have to remember there may be many employees who finally have vested options and are exercising some of them.”

Their vesting must be quite accelerated compared to mine at Cisco. We only vested 20% AFTER each year. So, we would not have anything vested yet.

But I don’t work at DDOG, so who knows…

Their vesting must be quite accelerated compared to mine at Cisco. We only vested 20% AFTER each year. So, we would not have anything vested yet.

Not necessarily. I work for a “unicorn” private company. We’ve been around as an independent company since 2015 so all the original options I got have already vested. 4 year vesting, 25% after one year then monthly.

We’ve had two chances to sell some of our shares to investors already. You can bet that I’ll be selling a decent portion if we ever go public. I still believe in the company but you gotta take some off the table when you have a chance.

Datadog was founded in 2010. That’s a lot of people who have been waiting very patiently for a long time to cash in. The company is currently worth nearly 27B so 300M seems like a drop in the bucket to me. Oh yeah, their IPO lockup expired in March. So this is the first chance that insiders have to sell.

Paul

7 Likes

https://www.lifewire.com/why-not-to-write-in-all-caps-117324…

epnh,

Just remember insiders sell for many reasons but they only buy for one reason.

Brian

Just remember insiders sell for many reasons but they only buy for one reason.

A great ESPP and/or options award program that guarantees they are buying at a discount?