Dead Links

Please excuse my ignorance but I don’t know if it’s just me or has anyone else seen a abundance of links in messages that when clicked on go nowhere. Maybe I missed something along the way in an earlier thread or maybe its a current joke or maybe I’m not up to the current way of pasting a link into a message.

I’d appreciate being enlightened.

Regards,

ImAGolfer

Well, there’s this one person who likes to post things that look like links but aren’t. The “site” part of these links almost always ends with “.pl” - with enough consistency that I suspect the exceptions are typographical errors, not deliberate.

Some of the social-media sites insist on making it incredibly difficult to create links elsewhere to specific content on their sites, and/or links on their site to content elsewhere.

I’ve discovered that pictures posted to Facebook apparently come with an expiration date.

1 Like

I’d appreciate being enlightened.

IAG... they are ment to be read only. I you get a 404 error on any link... read the link for what it says. Some are harder to read than others, I'll admit... but that's the jist.

[ww.beendoingthis4morethanadecade.pl/my.sig/](http://ww.beendoingthis4morethanadecade.pl/my.sig/)
1 Like

ww.clicktotest.com

We all learn, eventually…

1 Like

Often dead links are caused by people copying the appearance of the link instead of the address of the link, not realizing that the two can be quite different. (E. g., many sites will take a verylonglink.com and display it shorter like verylo… and not realizing that the full address, not the shorter display, is needed for clicking.

And old posts may end up pointing to pages that got deleted by the site the link points to or, or the page has been moved to a different spot on that site, or, sometimes, that site is no longer on the Internet. These are the usual reasons why search engines (such as Google) have dead links in their search results.

Often dead links are caused by people copying the appearance of the link instead of the address of the link, not realizing that the two can be quite different. (E. g., many sites will take a verylonglink.com and display it shorter like verylo… and not realizing that the full address, not the shorter display, is needed for clicking.

And old posts may end up pointing to pages that got deleted by the site the link points to or, or the page has been moved to a different spot on that site, or, sometimes, that site is no longer on the Internet. These are the usual reasons why search engines (such as Google) have dead links in their search results.

Or a poster makes up non existent links for their own amusement catching unsuspecting link clickers unaware…

This site explains the root personality quirk pretty well

www.oddinternetbehaviours.com

1 Like

BHM, that’s mean. I love it.

2 Likes