Dell 'end of support'

My wife gave me her 2014 Dell Studio ''laptop" a few years ago. It’s running Windows 8.1Pro on an Intel i5 processor.

Dell has been messaging repeatedly that support for this Dell Studio ends on January 10, 2023. I called Dell and they want me to buy a new desktop.
A few years ago I replaced the battery. It weighs a ton but has great sound, works perfectly. It absolutely meets my needs; sits on my home desk where I use it to pay bills, print the occasional document, and make the occasional trade. I don’t play computer games or need any more processing power. It meets my needs nicely.
I’d like to keep using it until it dies.
If I keep my Norton subscription up to date, am I facing any risks?
Will it become unnecessarily vulnerable or what?

I ran a desktop with Win 8.1 Pro on an i7 starting in early 2013 (new from Dell). I used it daily, many hours, so I replaced it in late 2020. I looked at more than just the basics–and I needed to upgrade. If what you do does not need more, then stay with it. Set aside some cash so you can readily replace it if it dies or needs major repairs or you find it needs to be replaced because it can no longer do what you need.

You should verify the machine can run Windows 11 Pro, so you can upgrade should you need/choose to do so. If it can not, that is something else to consider if some software you want to use in the future does require a higher level of security than offered in the hardware AND software of the old laptop.

I wonder if you can buy windows 10 (cheap now) and install it on this computer…doc

The usual problem with older machines is they are too slow for the internet. Ok for word processing or spreadsheets as a stand alone. But internet can be a problem.

I was reading that if you have the product key for the Windows OS you currently have, you can install Windows 10 as a free upgrade. Toms Hardware verified that…doc

How to Get Windows 11 or Windows 10 for Free (or Under $20) | Tom’s Hardware (tomshardware.com)

1 Like

If you keep your AV up to date, then I’m not sure why you need a new computer or even need to update to Windows 10 or 11. I would say that if you do update the OS, it will be such a drag on that hardware that you’ll get frustrated with the decrease in speed and want a new PC.

If you are diligent in not opening spam emails, and are diligent in not clicking on click bait which may load a virus on your machine, then I would just stick with the NAV subscription and be done with it.

I’d also recommend that you back up your documents / files to an external hard drive (or cloud service if you choose) in the event that the PC hard drive kicks the bucket. I also agree to have some cash set aside in the event that this PC dies and you need to purchase a new one.

Best ~
'38Packard

1 Like

Sano
I don’t think I would run an OS that is no longer getting updates and fixes from Windows unless you are ok with running the risk of having your data, usernames and passwords becoming availabe on the dark net. I don’t know what you use your computer for on the internet but I would not risk financial accounts that I access from my computer to be at risk. An up to date AV is dependent on the OS to be in optimum shape for protection and Norton will stop protecting windows 8 platforms when it reaches end of life. Also, you know that no antivirus protects against all froms of malware ransomware etc. Good to see you posting and HTH…doc

1 Like

I tried to update from W8.1 to W10, but no joy.
As it is, 8.1 allows me to do the monthly chores.
As long as the Norton anti-virus keeps me safe, it’s adequate.

THAT is what concerns me; an unsupported OS that Norton cannot protect against the cretins.

1 Like

Ouch. Then it is a specific (hardware/software) problem that can not be fixed unless you get a more current system. From memory, I think it is a “trust” issue that was implemented in Win 10 that is on the chipset AND on the CPU. Found it at the link below:

What was the problem? I believe your 2014 Dell Studio should be able to run Windows 10 just fine.

Thanks for the link to Tom’s Hardware. Even if I can’t get the Dell Studio to upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10, it has a lot of great information.
sano

1 Like

Too slow for the internet? A modern high-speed internet connection is the slowest thing in a 10-year-old computer.

Except, perhaps, if the network support on the computer is slower than what your ISP is delivering. I pay for 500 Mbps, and get around 600. It wasn’t all that long ago my network equipment, including the computer’s Ethernet port, was limited to 100 Mbps.