Did some sort of flash crash just happen?

NVDA had been down 4-5% on the day, but suddenly is down >10%, with options bids/asks no longer listed.

The price touched $205 for a second. NVDA’s daily price graph looks almost identical to the S&P, NASDAQ, and Dow for that time period from about 2:50 pm to 3:20 pm (now).

Looks like some robo-trading took hold for a bit (with some stop-loss orders executing as part of the mix, I would guess).

2 Likes

Something, indeed, happened at about 3:10 PM EST. Quite visible on the charts. What does it all mean? Dunno. It might be a quick capitulation that brings back the “buy-the-dippers”. I’ve had a rather prosperous day today, so I’m watching all this happen with a somewhat happy disposition.

That’s probably the computers and algorithms at it again… indeed, if you look at the DJIA chart, right around 3:10pm it plummeted swiftly. I’m not sure humans are that quick. Or maybe all the folks on the West coast were watching the news as lunch started?

https://finance.google.com/finance?q=INDEXDJX%3A.DJI&ei=…

Anyway, I added to a few positions today, on sale, that weren’t quite full positions for me, around the same timeframe – one wildly-low limit order triggered that I was /sure/ could never trigger. :slight_smile: