DOCU Reviews- UGLY

After the excellent discussion on UPST I hopped on Trustpilot and looked at the reviews, excellent BTW.

Then I started checking out other companies I hold. The reviews for my largest holding, DOCU, were terrible. https://www.trustpilot.com/review/docusign.com

I was so shocked I checked BBB and saw the same reviews, which on second thought was no surprise. No one goes to BBB when they are happy, right?

But I decided to sell half, and maybe I should do more. The complaints were pretty consistent -about having a 100 document limit on pricing that had been unlimited, but when the plans renewed they had to accept the limit or pay much more. It may be that the smallest businesses got a great deal that has expired, but people clearly felt otherwise.

Docu has traded at a P/S much lower than companies growing as fast, so I was really happy to hold an outsized position. Now I have a normal position and I have concerns that will be addressed in the next quarterly report. Is is a small group that lost a great deal, and are mad :rage: or are there larger problems?

Not going to be complacent with all the wonderful opportunities we have.

Flygal

19 Likes

I think you should reconsider.

That site is way off. Also has Twilio at 1.5 stars. This stinks to high heaven. Both companies are the indisputable heavyweight champs of respective industries w 100s of 1000s of customers. Simply impossible for either to be 1.5 stars.

16 Likes

Flygal,

I don’t know about Docu customer satisfaction, but I did look up the web site you posted. Seems that the reviews should be viewed with a great deal of suspicion. See this link: https://www.seotraininglondon.org/can-you-trust-trustpilot/

I don’t know why I should care about such numbers, from a small sample size. 180 responses is not statistically significant. What puzzles me a bit is that the sales numbers are probably the best indication we can have of customer satisfaction levels. I can see where one might look at a statistically significant sample to see why sales are flagging.

Remember that, unless encouraged to do so, many folks will not fill in a survey. Some companies pay to have negative reviews removed and all of the folks you read on this site are still selected. This is not a random sampling.

Meanwhile, I think I’ll follow the numbers and keep my position.

Gordon

8 Likes

This tells another story:

https://www.capterra.com/p/121506/DocuSign/
5252 reviews, average rating 4.7/5

https://www.g2.com/products/docusign/reviews
1754 reviews, average rating 4.5/5

1 Like

The complaints were pretty consistent -about having a 100 document limit on pricing that had been unlimited, but when the plans renewed they had to accept the limit or pay much more. It may be that the smallest businesses got a great deal that has expired, but people clearly felt otherwise.

Is is a small group that lost a great deal, and are mad :rage: or are there larger problems?

In addition to what others have said about trustpilot and the small sample size, one reason my overall confidence in DocuSign doesn’t waver at this point is that changes in pricing for existing customers are a fact of life. Free and lower-cost limited-time trials are a great way to get people hooked on your product. One of the best legal examples I can think of is Netflix. If I have it right, long-time streaming customers like me are paying nearly double the monthly rate we started at, and that wasn’t a trial rate.

It just looks to me like DocuSign is moving to monetize more of the ‘customer loyalty capital’ they’ve built, and a tiny handful of bad reviews on a complaint-magnet website are the collateral damage.

Not going to be complacent with all the wonderful opportunities we have.

This might be more important in your decision process. I’m in the same camp, seeing better opportunities for adds right now, but I’m not looking to undersize DOCU to fund them.

-n8 (normal position in DOCU, longtime NFLX holder)

2 Likes

You have to acknowledge the psychology of those sites. People go to gripe. If you go to a complaint window, all you’re going to find are complainers. The growth of DOCU speaks much more loudly, and with the voice of a lot more users.

2 Likes

While completely anecdotal, I am in commercial real estate and it has cut our due diligence time by a large margin. And in an industry where time kills all deals, Docusign has allowed us to close on more transcations than we would have without it. The industries that DOCU has already disrupted will no longer go back to the way they papered contracts before. It was as big of a jump for us as it was from going from mail > fax > email > Docusign.

24 Likes

Just my two cents. I’m still consistently signing edocs from Docusign. Companies might not like the price increases, but they still need to use edocs. More and more in this current world. Hopefully, it will be beneficial come earnings time. Not ready to jump ship just yet.

To clarify DOCU was a 20% position for me, now it is 10%. While the number of reviews is small as a percentage of their customers, it made me wonder if they have as much pricing power as I thought. I still have enough of a stake to do well if they do, and I could add back if they do better than my other holdings.

Right now I am considering adding to ZS, LSPD, UPST AND/OR DDOG.

As always we need to do what we are comfortable with after research.

Flygal

3 Likes