dumbfounded and thankful

Is everyone pinching themselves or is it just me?

I just wanted to say, briefly, how appreciative I am of the Fool, Saul, FrickNFool, and the board moderators/contributors. Today is a remarkable day. On a day when the S&P 500 is up 0.7%, and the NASDAQ 1.4%, my ENTIRE PORTFOLIO is up 13.4% for the day (and probably many of you did even better). That is the single best investing day I’ve ever had by a mile. I’m honestly having trouble wrapping my head around it. I’m dumbfounded. I can’t believe it. It’s nuts.

¯_(?)_/¯

And I mostly have the participants of this board to thank (also Rule Breakers and Stock Advisor to some degree). I have been following this board since the beginning in 2014. I was cautious at first and it took me a couple of years to fully embrace the approach. I only fired our financial planner and took over in Nov 2014. Since then I’m up 520% (vs. ~70% for the S&P), again likely less than many of you but still mind-blowing to me.

There may be a correction or rotation starting tomorrow, so knock on wood, but nonetheless I’m so thankful for today.

A million thank yous to everyone who makes this such a special place!!!

Happy dance! -Chris
long ZM CRWD DDOG FSLY LVGO SE OKTA NET ROKU PTON MELI

ps- hoping to not start a long thread of replies to this one…

75 Likes

Yes, pinching myself! My word for today is “flabbergasted”. I thought May and June were surreal. My dollar gains today are about 80% of what I made in each of those months. I’m humbled and grateful to be a student here for the last year. I’ve learned so much about investing and, also, about myself.

4 Likes

Is everyone pinching themselves or is it just me?

I just wanted to say, briefly, how appreciative I am of the Fool, Saul, FrickNFool, and the board moderators/contributors. Today is a remarkable day. On a day when the S&P 500 is up 0.7%, and the NASDAQ 1.4%, my ENTIRE PORTFOLIO is up 13.4% for the day (and probably many of you did even better). That is the single best investing day I’ve ever had by a mile. I’m honestly having trouble wrapping my head around it. I’m dumbfounded. I can’t believe it. It’s nuts.

Up “only” 12.4% :innocent:

No, it’s not “nuts” at all. Zoom (ZM) was up 40% yesterday. In an index with 500 stocks that will hardly make a ripple. In a portfolio with four equally weighted positions that 40% registers as a 10% move. This is what a concentrated portfolio is designed to do. The downside is that the opposite is also possible and the protection is to make sure your stocks are truly solid companies. An Enron can wreck havoc. While it is difficult to detect fraud, it is not difficult to detect other dangers like credit risk. Nassim Nicholas Taleb graded industries as black swan prone or white swan prone. Finance is black swan prone while biotech is white swan prone according to Taleb.

So it all comes down to stock picking and having the conviction to hold only a handful of the best.

Denny Schlesinger

PS: During the dot-com boom I had much bigger days in dollar terms but never a blowout like yesterday in percentage terms. In real world terms, yesterday covered a year’s ordinary expenses. That’s the “WOW!”

PS2: Assuming all the stocks in the S&P 500 were equally weighted, Zoom’s 40% move would register at 0.08%

PS3: Don’t keep crap in your portfolio! Don’t wait for dogs to “catch up.”

59 Likes

I don’t post much, I’m a sponge, I absorbed everything said here, and apply this knowledge and verify with Bert’s articles, tradingview, and seeking alpha, but the ZM discussion has been outstanding! I too am grateful since I joined in March, I started buying ZM, and sold and on an hunch, I moved 40% of my portfolio 8/23 to ZM, and I’ve never doubled my holdings in one day, Most will think it risky, probably so, but the discussion here, helped me so much, and I’m so blessed to found Saul’s Discussion board and the many people that help keep the discussion on point. I sold 20%, @460 then reallocated to

OKTA DDOG SMAR DOCU LULU COUP AMZN FSLY and ZM

Thanks again men, Todd

2 Likes