‘Ecocide’

7/10/2022

A law professor from Queen Mary University in London has called a proposal to make “ecocide” the fifth international crime the “most credible and advanced” effort to date to expand the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court in The Hague.

Phoebe Okowa’s remarks earlier this month at a conference marking the ICC’s 20th anniversary signaled a turning point in which governments, academics and lawyers have begun critically debating the political feasibility of an international environmental crime.

Okowa said the debate could divide developed and developing nations and leave the highest polluting nations, including the United States, China, Russia and India—none of which recognize the court—trying to “immunize” themselves from the court’s jurisdiction.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/10072022/international-cr…

Jaak

About time for ‘Ecocide’

6 Likes

How do you enforce conviction of an ecocrime? Sanctions? No more loans?

==========================================

I can think of many other ways:
Jail the executives of a company and make the company pay for the cleanup and restoration
Jail the government officials and make the government pay for cleanup and restoration

I saw this at Barry Ritholtz post today.

https://ritholtz.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/emmissionsda…

Where? World court? World jail?

Seize assets? How? In foreign banks?

1 Like

I can think of many other ways:
Jail the executives of a company and make the company pay for the cleanup and restoration
Jail the government officials and make the government pay for cleanup and restoration

Sounds difficult. For example, whaling has been banned internationally for almost 40 years, and yet Japan, Norway and Iceland continue to hunt whales.

DB2

2 Likes

“Sounds difficult. For example, whaling has been banned internationally for almost 40 years, and yet Japan, Norway and Iceland continue to hunt whales.”

Not only sounds difficult, but it is almost impossible.

“Jail the government officials and make the government pay for cleanup and restoration.”

Which officials do you mean? Those in your own country?
Or the Chinese, the Indians and the Russians?

2 Likes

I would hope this would also cover nations such as Russia which uses Ukrainian nuke plants as staging areas to launch rockets knowing Zelensky will not want to strike back at the plants and create another Chernobyl mess.

I personally would like to see world governments outlaw all single use plastic bags for a start as Canada and California have just done.

2 Likes