Escape from the 'workers' paradise'

{This woman was spared from the evils of Capitalism.}

Escape from the ‘workers’ paradise’: Public executions, hunger so severe that boiled eggs were a once-in-a-lifetime (illegal) treat, sold into a brutal marriage.

Then – finally – the dramatic moment a brave mother fled her North Korean hell

The buildings were named according to where the residents worked. Ours was called ‘Mechanical Department No2’ after the factory where my father serviced cars.

Everyone worked at the same place, everyone lived in the same lodging, everyone earned the same amount of money. It was ‘the Workers’ Paradise’.

Most of the meagre rations we received consisted of food made from maize. Mum displayed feats of imagination in order to put food in our bowls every day, but it wasn’t enough, and hunger often kept me from sleeping. The next day, it was the same thing all over again.

(It gets worse.)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10885551/North-Kore…

3 Likes

Read the book, "A River in Darkness: One Man’s Escape from North Korea Paperback – June 26, 2018
by Masaji Ishikawa (Author), Risa Kobayashi (Translator).

The author’s father was brought to Japan before World War 2 as a laborer. He married a Japanese woman and had 2 (or 3?) children. Lured by propaganda about the “workers’ paradise” in Korea, he moved the entire family to Korea. Huge mistake!

After incredible suffering, Ishikawa escaped to South Korea when he was middle-aged. Since he had a Japanese mother, he was allowed to move to Japan. We don’t know how lucky we are until we read about North Korea, a nation of hard-working people held in mass slavery on the brink of starvation.

https://www.amazon.com/River-Darkness-Escape-North-Korea/dp/…

Wendy

5 Likes

Most of the meagre rations we received consisted of food made from maize. Mum displayed feats of imagination in order to put food in our bowls every day, but it wasn’t enough, and hunger often kept me from sleeping. The next day, it was the same thing all over again.

Are any of the factories names “Triangle Shirtwaist”?

Steve

1 Like