Facebook Quarterly Update

I’m sure Mr Zuckerberg will be happy to know that you are willing to invest additional funds in FB for no dividend income. . Any monetary gain will have to come from a sale of FB and I am sure the IRS and the STATE will be glad to accept 30% or 40% or more of the gains you had. In addition you had to make the correct decisions as to when to buy and then when to sell. And if you did all those things at the right time, you have to now find another investment to do as well or better. Where does the portfolio growth come from for your retirement. By leaning towards income I have to make less decisions (less chance of making mistakes) less trading (lower transaction fees and taxes to pay) leaves more capital working for me. As the income rises prices will tend to rise (But it isn’t necessary) and the portfolio will grow.

Glad your portfolio has done well for you but I still there is some a potential for misleading conclusions. For one, income is taxed at full rates and capital gains are not if held a year. For another capital gains if unrealized are just that - unrealized. You can put off any capital gains for years as your investment compounds. But the bigger objection to consider is that income payments are, in essence, just one form of capital allocation and should evaluated exclusively that way.

In the end, the ONLY thing that actually counts in investing is earnings (and close cousin free cash flow), and that is determined by how well a business does, not how the earnings are distributed. You have to MAKE earnings to PAY dividends, so you evaluate them exclusively in that order. Granted, often times paying a dividend is by far the best capital allocation imaginable and sticking with dividend payers is a mighty fine strategy for many, but in the end it is precisely earnings that determine how prosperous that dividend payment will be in the future. Thus, excluding companies just because they don’t pay a dividend is ultimately irrational.

Warren Buffett put it this way:

The businesses is wonderful if it gives you more and more money every year without putting up anything - or by putting up very little. And we have some businesses like that. A business is also wonderful if it takes money, but where the rate at which you reinvest the money is very satisfactory.

The problem with a ‘dividend or else’ approach is that you often exclude companies early in their growth cycles - and they will eventually turn into big dividend payers anyway as they mature. Here’s another way to put it - if you buy a stock for an IRA, do you care if it pays a dividend or not? Probably not - unless you think the company is wiser cause they pay a dividend. In the end though, you just want the selection that produces the highest total return…

4 Likes

The following is a link to the HASI board. I just posted articles by several writers that I follow to keep up on HASI. They all focus on companies in the REIT/dividend space. I think they all do a good job explaining the company. I will continue to post articles and CC notes there if there is any interest. It is an 8% position for me and has done well the 3 1/2 years I have had shares.

http://discussion.fool.com/hasi-coverage-32583072.aspx?result=Ne…

Darrell

6 Likes

I’m sure Mr Zuckerberg will be happy to know that you are willing to invest additional funds in FB for no dividend income. . Any monetary gain will have to come from a sale of FB and I am sure the IRS and the STATE will be glad to accept 30% or 40% or more of the gains you had

I understand where you are, you need income and you prefer stocks that pay dividend’s. When you make a leap in assumption that is preferable or desirable or ideal for everyone, I think it becomes questionable.

For some FB going from $25 to $125 is far more important than few $$$'s of dividend. To me, where am I now, I would prefer capital gains vs dividend. My dividend, interest incomes will be taxed far higher rate than my capital gains.

The risk in dividend paying stock vs non-dividend paying stocks are same. This is clearly demonstrated by energy stocks in the last few years. Companies like Linn Energy which are paying close to 10% dividend and had $10 B+ market cap and $30 quote went into bankruptcy.

1 Like

Meanwhile, getting back to FB, it is now closing in on 2 billion users:

Facebook is quickly closing in on the two billion user mark.

The social network had 1.86 billion monthly active users as of the end of 2016, up from 1.79 billion the previous quarter and 1.59 billion a year earlier, according to its fourth quarter earnings report on Wednesday.

In fact, Facebook added more users this quarter compared to a year earlier than any quarter since the company went public in 2012, according to CFO David Wehner.

Wehner attributed the impressive user growth to “promotional data plans” from third parties in countries like India as well as Internet.org, Facebook’s free stripped-down Internet offering in developing markets.

Read the whole thing at http://myfox8.com/2017/02/05/facebook-is-closing-in-on-2-bil…

Matt
Long FB
MasterCard (MA), Nestle (NSRGY), PayPal (PYPL), and Verizon (VZ) Ticker Guide
See all my holdings at http://my.fool.com/profile/CMFCochrane/info.aspx

4 Likes