Fastly Available on Google Cloud Marketplace

Press release from Fastly: https://investors.fastly.com/news/news-details/2020/Fastly-O…

Fastly Offers First Partner Edge Cloud-Based Content Delivery Solution on Google Cloud Marketplace

Fastly, Inc. (NYSE: FSLY), a global edge cloud platform, today announced its availability as a private listing on Google Cloud Marketplace. Under a single billing arrangement and using Google Cloud committed spend, Google Cloud customers can now purchase Fastly – the first partner edge cloud-based content delivery solution to be offered within the Google Cloud Marketplace – as a part of their modern tech stack. The addition of Fastly to the Google Cloud Marketplace gives developers a modern, flexible platform on which to build fast, innovative, secure and highly personalized digital experiences.

“We’re excited to build upon our six year partnership with Google Cloud to continue empowering developers to build, test, and deploy applications in a scalable, reliable cloud environment,”…

Fastly’s partnership with Google Cloud began in 2014 with the announcement of Fastly’s Cloud Accelerator, and over time, Fastly achieved Premier partner status — the highest partnership level available within Google Cloud. In the past six years, the two companies together announced direct network interconnects in over 25 locations, offered discounted egress to Google Cloud customers, and enabled companies like NYTimes and Flywheel to reduce costs, improve response times, and process more requests than ever before at the edge.

“Making Fastly available on Google Cloud Marketplace means that customers can quickly purchase Fastly’s solution from Google Cloud and get a unified billing experience,”…

This is a bit of an extension to what I perceive as Fastly’s business model of focusing on larger customers that can aggregate a lot of usage for Fastly (so their S&M team doesn’t have to work as hard on lots of little wins). In way this fits nicely in that Google Cloud Marketplace is sort of the customer and their customers can now build things using Fastly, pay Google, and Fastly gets their share. It is different because this is a marketplace rather than a true single customer doing all the paying.

I find this news exciting because it should make Fastly’s platform instantly accessible to a lot of individual developers and small teams that normally wouldn’t have access without being at a bigger company, right?

For now this is just the CDN, but it is a foot in the door to their entire platform opening up once out of beta.

What do you think of this news and my interpretation of it?

25 Likes

Thanks for sharing…

I agree, a cloud giant (though the smaller one) offering Fastly as part of marketplace makes it a very interesting… at the risk of reading too much, it probably says that GCP is not planning to introduce its own edge services any time soon…

But if you think of real impact, of the three cloud titans, AWS, Azure and GCP, I don’t know who attracts most of the “new gen internet companies” like SHOP, PINS etc… it is quite likely that GCP is less preferred among those FSLY target customers and thus, it is GCP who is looking to gain more out of this relationship than FSLY…

Would be curious if someone has more insight into this.

8 Likes