Financial infidelity

Ms. Wolf’s degree is in social work, so you can imagine what she earned. I had a master’s degree and a professional license (thanks in big part to her support while I finished school).

We also decided that she would stay at home until our 2 children were in school, which further impeded her earnings. We knew it would hurt us financially, but neither of us regret the decision.

So technically, I earned 95% of our retirement money, but in reality, it was a team effort. As I’m fond of saying, Ms. Wolf’s money is her money and my money is Ms. Wolf’s money.

If we were to divorce (doubtful as neither of us could afford a divorce attorney) we would split everything 50-50.

There is no way I would have had the life and family that we have without each other. I’ve seen lots of ugly divorces, so maybe we were just lucky. But we both earned every penny we’ve saved.

Well, maybe she earned more of it because she’s such a damn tightwad, but I still like to think we did it as a team.

Wow - you just described my life, almost exactly.
My wife did have a bit of a debt problem when we met. She saw how much more relaxing life is w/o debt and got on board.

2 Likes